East Lansing officials declare weather emergency until 5 p.m.

<p>Landscape Services employee Jim Delinescheff, right, and agribusiness management junior Joseph Drent discuss snow removal efforts on Jan. 6, 2014, near the <span class="caps">MSU</span> Union. Drent shoveled snow around entrances to the Union. Christina Strong/The State News</p>

Landscape Services employee Jim Delinescheff, right, and agribusiness management junior Joseph Drent discuss snow removal efforts on Jan. 6, 2014, near the MSU Union. Drent shoveled snow around entrances to the Union. Christina Strong/The State News

Photo by Christina Strong | The State News

*_Update, 2:55 p.m._ *— The city plans to lift the weather emergency at 5 p.m., according to an updated statement from officials.

East Lansing City Hall and all city offices are set to reopen tomorrow, but officials still recommend staying indoors when possible. The Bailey Community Center and East Lansing Public Schools will remain closed.

Enforcement of the city’s snow ordinance will resume at midnight on Jan. 8.

——

The city of East Lansing has declared a weather emergency until at least 5 p.m., according to a statement from city officials.

To ensure streets are cleared efficiently, residents are asked not to travel on public streets unless necessary. Parking on all streets is suspended until the emergency is lifted.

Residents are encouraged to stay in doors because of low temperatures.

The snow ordinance requiring residents to shovel the area surrounding their homes also has been suspended for the day.

Many city buildings, such as East Lansing City Hall, the East Lansing 54-B District Court, the East Lansing Hannah Community Center, the East Lansing Department of Public Works, the East Lansing Public Library, East Lansing Prime Time and the East Lansing Bailey Community Center all will be closed.

Share and discuss “East Lansing officials declare weather emergency until 5 p.m.” on social media.