Column: Spartans set up for successful stretch run

<p>Senior guard Keith Appling tries to keep the ball from Ohio State guards Amedeo Della Valle, 33, and Lenzelle Smith Jr., 32, on Jan. 7, 2014, at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Buckeyes in overtime, 72-68. Danyelle Morrow/The State News</p>

Senior guard Keith Appling tries to keep the ball from Ohio State guards Amedeo Della Valle, 33, and Lenzelle Smith Jr., 32, on Jan. 7, 2014, at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Buckeyes in overtime, 72-68. Danyelle Morrow/The State News

Photo by Danyelle Morrow | The State News

Tom Izzo hasn’t been sleeping well for the past month.

Injuries, suspensions and lackluster performances by many players on the No. 5 MSU men’s basketball team have made his nights long and turned his hair grey.

But the light at the end of the tunnel is that the plethora of stress could lead to a smoother stretch.

It’s no secret the Spartans are beat up.

Senior forward Adreian Payne has been figthing plantar fasciitis for nearly the entire season, and senior guard Keith Appling fell hard on his hip and hurt his wrist against North Carolina. Sophomores Gary Harris, Matt Costello and Travis Trice have been battling various injuries.

Not one player on the roster has started every game, and only three have seen action in every game.

Still, through all the injuries, the Spartans have persevered and turned a page since their disappointing 79-65 loss at home against North Carolina in early December.

Since that game, MSU has gone on a streak that few other teams in the country could sustain.

But for the Spartans, when one player is down, another rises to the occasion.

In the seven wins since they lost to the Tar Heels, MSU has been led in scoring by four different players, and saw career highs from six players.

Harris, Payne and Appling all average more than 15 points per game, with junior forward Branden Dawson still coming in at double digits at just more than ten a game.

Despite the winning, Izzo hasn’t been happy with the way his team has been showing up on the court.

With four games between now and Jan. 25, when Michigan and ESPN’s College GameDay come to town, this is the perfect time for the Spartans to rest up and get ready for the long haul.

Izzo said Trice hasn’t come back to East Lansing yet after Christmas break, and Payne is “very questionable” for their tilt with Minnesota Saturday afternoon.

Still, Harris is back, Appling is on the mend and Costello is getting the pep back in his step. The big man slammed home a dunk at the end of practice Thursday that left the biggest smile in the room on the face of his head coach.

Nowadays, Izzo can sleep a little better.

Zach Smith is a State News basketball reporter. Reach him at zsmith@statenews.com

Share and discuss “Column: Spartans set up for successful stretch run ” on social media.