Top-ranked MSU tied with UNC at halftime

<p>Sophomore forward Matt Costello jumps up with a rebound during the game against North Carolina on Dec. 4, 2013, at Breslin Center.The Spartans are tied with the Tar Heels at the half, 32-32. Danyelle Morrow/The State News</p>

Sophomore forward Matt Costello jumps up with a rebound during the game against North Carolina on Dec. 4, 2013, at Breslin Center.The Spartans are tied with the Tar Heels at the half, 32-32. Danyelle Morrow/The State News

Photo by Danyelle Morrow | The State News

It was a tale of two halves…of a half.

The No. 1 MSU men’s basketball team is tied with North Carolina 32-32 at the half, after an up-and-down start to the game by the Spartans

The Tar Heels led by as much as 14 midway through the period, but MSU scored eight of the last 10 field goals to even the score.

It took four minutes for MSU to get their first field goal.

The Spartans got off to a poor start after junior forward Alex Gauna picked up two quick fouls, and then committed a turnover and lane violation.

The Tar Heels got out to a 6-0 lead before sophomore guard Gary Harris made a pair of free throws to get the Spartans on the board.

In the first ten minutes of the half, MSU committed five turnovers and four fouls, but made only two field goals.

Once the clock hit the ten-minute mark, MSU went on a bit of a run with baskets from Harris, senior forward Adreian Payne and junior forward Brandon Dawson.

With just over five minutes to play in the half, senior guard Keith Appling went down on the baseline with what appeared to a lower body injury.

After he went out, the Spartans played like a different team, and went on a 13-2 run to tie it up.

Payne got the Izzone back into the game with his first three-pointer of the night on the next trip down the floor.

Sophomore forward Matt Costello got MSU to within three at the 3:50 mark with a huge dunk, then streaked down the floor a swatted James McAdoo’s shot.

Payne tied the game with another long range shot, and the return of Appling during the ensuing timeout

Eight different Tar Heels saw their names on the scoring chart at the half, with McAdoo and Nate Britt leading the team with six points apiece.

Payne led MSU with 12 points, while Appling and Harris led the team in assists with two each.

Share and discuss “Top-ranked MSU tied with UNC at halftime ” on social media.