Student Health Services begins handing out flu prevention packs

Students looking to stay healthy through the end of the semester can find new resources in their dorms, neighborhood clinics and recreational sports facilities.

MSU Student Health Services has begun to distribute 20,000 Cold and Flu Packs throughout campus, communications manager Kathi Braunlich said.

Twelve thousand packs will be in the residence halls and 8,000 will be distributed to the neighborhood clinics, Olin Health Center and IM Fitness Centers.

Each pack contains thermometers, cough drops, tissues, disinfectant wipes and information packets.

The packs are coordinated by Recreational Sports and Fitness Services, Residential Education and Housing Services, Student Health Services and Residence Halls Association.

Student Health Services Educational Program Coordinator Jonathan Kermiet said the packs have been popular, but only in the past few years have they been distributed on such a large scale.

“We want to get the packs in students’ hands not only for self-care, but so they can have the information as well,” Kermiet said. “Students should know about flu symptoms and how to distinguish them from more serious illnesses like meningitis.”

The packs have been distributed to RAs to give to residents, Kermiet said. The packs will be available at the front desks of the IM facilities today.

“If and when the flu hits in one of the halls, it can spread very quickly,” he said. “That’s what we’re trying to avoid.”

According to National College Health Assessment data, 50 percent of students reported last year that they experienced a cold or flu at least once, and 16 percent of students reported that the cold or flu affected their academic success.

But the rates of self-reported cold and flu and its academic impact have declined since 2010, while self-reported flu vaccination rates have risen, MSU Coordinator of Health Education Dennis Martell said.

“We believe some of this decline in self-reported cold and flu rates is due to our collaborative efforts to equip students with information and support so they can stay healthy,” Martell said.

More flu shots also are available in neighborhood clinics throughout campus, Kermiet said.

Share and discuss “Student Health Services begins handing out flu prevention packs” on social media.