Preliminary exam of man accused of attacking ex-girlfriend scheduled for Friday

The man accused of attacking an MSU student did not have his expected pretrial Tuesday morning.

East Lansing resident Samuel Roberts was arrested in October for allegedly holding his ex-girlfriend in his apartment at knifepoint. He was charged with unlawful imprisonment, assault with a dangerous weapon, interference with electronic communication and domestic violence.

Roberts maintained a check-up with 54-B District Court Tuesday and will go straight into his preliminary exam on Friday morning.

On the night of Oct. 19, Roberts argued with the victim, whom he said was intoxicated, when he became violent and suicidal.

When she tried to call a friend for help, Roberts took her cell phone, threatened to throw it out the window and began throwing her around his apartment into furniture. The victim sustained minor injuries.

In a statement obtained by police, the victim said Roberts had a violent history and once attempted to strangle her.

MSU’s official faculty and student search database lists both Roberts and the victim as students.

Share and discuss “Preliminary exam of man accused of attacking ex-girlfriend scheduled for Friday” on social media.