Hitting the slopes

A guide to Michigan's best skiing and snowboarding locations

<p>Places to ski and snowboard in Michigan. </p>

Places to ski and snowboard in Michigan.

Photo by Isabel Calder | The State News

With more than 20 winter vacation days, there are many options for students to spend their time off from classes.

Staying indoors away from the cold might seem like a typical activity, but braving the weather and hitting the slopes in Michigan might be a better solution to the winter blues.

Mickey MacWilliams, executive director of the Michigan Snowsports Industries Association, said the majority of students flock to the most popular skiing and snowboarding lodges in Michigan — Boyne Mountain Resort and Boyne Highlands Resort, Nub’s Nob Ski Area, Crystal Mountain, Caberfae Peaks and Shanty Creek. MacWilliams said the areas’ natural lakes make them main attractions for winter sports.

“They usually have more snow on the ground in northwestern parts of the state,” MacWilliams said.

Some ski and snowboard mountains offer discounts for college students, and websites such as goskimichigan.com and liftopia.com are sources MacWilliams suggests for finding deals during winter break.

The MSU Snowboard Club plans on taking a group of students to Aspen, Colo., to Snowmass Mountain. The trip includes four days of skiing and an all-inclusive package, said Jason Matney, social chair of the MSU Snowboard Club and advertising junior.

The Spartan Ski Club also is planning a Dec. 14 through Dec. 21 trip to Steamboat Springs, Colo.

While you might not be able to attend a ski or snowboarding trip to Colorado, here are the top five ski and snowboarding locations in Michigan to enjoy this winter break:

1. Boyne Mountain Resort and Boyne Highlands Resort

Boyne Mountain Resort is located in Boyne Falls, Mich., about a 30-minute drive from Boyne Highlands Resort, located in Harbor Springs, Mich. Boyne Mountain Resort has a six-for-one lift ticket offer, where visitors can get six lift tickets for the price of one, on Dec. 13.

Andrew Heinz, Spartan Ski Club officer and media and information junior, said he has been going to Boyne Mountain Resort for years.

“If you’re looking for more of a mountain and more of a challenge, Boyne is the place to go,” Heinz said.

Boyne is home to lower Michigan’s two largest resorts. They also offer a college pass with access to ten terrain parks, 115 runs and 30 acres of free ski areas for beginners. A college ID, driver’s license and proof of enrollment in nine credits or more are needed to secure the deal.

2. Nub’s Nob

Located near Boyne Highlands, Nubs Nob has one of the top-rated terrain parks in the Midwest this year, according to Outside Magazine, in addition to its 248 acres and 53 runs.

College students up to the age of 22 with proof of enrollment in 12 credits or more can purchase a season pass for $359, saving more than $200 compared to regular adult season passes.

Nub’s Nob general manager Jim Bartlett said the resort offers discounts for a group of 20 people or more, and what sets these slopes apart is its commitment to award-winning, man-made snow.

3. Crystal Mountain

Ice skating, snow shoeing, sleigh rides, snowmobile tours are just some of the activities besides skiing and snowboarding that Crystal Mountain in Thompsonville, Mich., has to offer.

Erin LaMont, administrative assistant to the director of skier services at Crystal Mountain, said the location is ideal for college students to experience a “crazy good” deal for skiing and snowboarding this holiday season.

“The college pass is something brand new this year and it’s really getting the traction we thought it would,” LaMont said.

Since most college students are on a budget, Crystal Mountain has made a $199 college student special available with a valid college identification and 12-credit school schedule. According to LaMont, three brand new slopes have been added this year.

4. Caberfae Peaks

From 9 a.m. to close every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, Caberfae Peaks offers a $18 lift special for college students, same as the equipment rental rate. Regular, adult weekend lift tickets go for $44. Once a month, on Dec. 20 and Jan. 10, a lift ticket and rental rate costs just $9.

Caberfae Peaks is located in Cadillac, Mich. — approximately two and a half hours from East Lansing.The resort offers a 10-mile nordic trail through northern Michigan’s hardwood forest.

5. Shanty Creek

Shanty Creek offers an all-area, non-restricted college student pass for $214 , Shanty Creek reservation specialist Chyerl Gardener said.

For seasoned skiers and snowboarders, Gardener recommends college students stay next to Shanty Creek’s Schuss Mountain, a 1,125-foot summit with a 450-degree vertical.

Joey Senechal, Spartan Ski Club member and mechanical engineering junior, also enjoys Schuss Mountain in Bellaire, Mich., and is planning on making a trip there this February with the Spartan Ski Club.

“I like the steep terrain and skiing through the trees,” Senechal said.

Share and discuss “Hitting the slopes” on social media.