UConn ends field hockey's unpredictable postseason

<p>Junior forward Allie Ahern breaks away towards the net during the game against Miami (Ohio) on Nov. 13, 2013, at Ralph Young Field. The Spartans defeated the Redhawks, 3-0, during the first round of the <span class="caps">NCAA</span> tournament. Danyelle Morrow/The State News</p>

Junior forward Allie Ahern breaks away towards the net during the game against Miami (Ohio) on Nov. 13, 2013, at Ralph Young Field. The Spartans defeated the Redhawks, 3-0, during the first round of the NCAA tournament. Danyelle Morrow/The State News

Photo by Danyelle Morrow | The State News

Fresh off a major upset of No. 2 Syracuse, the field hockey team’s postseason euphoria was at an all-time high.

However, all storybooks come to a close.

An improbable, Cinderella-like postseason run finally ended for the field hockey team on Sunday.

In a physical game, the Spartans (14-10 overall, 4-2 Big Ten) fell to No. 4 UConn (19-4 overall), 3-1, in the Elite Eight round of the NCAA Tournament.

The season was definitely the “step forward” head coach Helen Knull talked about wanting for the program at the beginning of the year.

“I told the girls after there’s nothing to be disappointed in the season because we set goals and we accomplished our goals,” Knull said.

“The kids really dug deep, they’ve had to play a lot of minutes in the last week and a half. That was really the difference for us. Our mentality, our desire to win was there, and it was just our ability to execute in the time available.”

Senior midfielder Adelle Lever scored the lone goal for MSU with junior forward Heather Howie adding an assist. Senior goalkeeper Molly Cassidy had eight saves.

Head coach Helen Knull said after playing six games in 10 days, the Spartans were fatigued. Playing an extra game to qualify for the NCAA Tournament meant MSU has played more postseason games than any other qualifying team up to that point.

“You’ve got all those combined, for us it was really a we just didn’t have the gas,” Knull said. “The heart was there, we didn’t give up until the final whistle. For that, I was really proud of the team for.”

In a physical, intense game, junior defender Jenni Smith, UConn sophomore midfielder Mckenzie Townsend and UConn sophomore midfielder Roisin Upton received yellow cards. Senior midfielder Katherine Jamieson received a green card.

Connecticut led 2-1 at halftime, outshooting the Spartans 14-3 and earning four corner plays.

Senior forward Anne Jeute scored the first goal for Syracuse 16:09 minutes into the first half on a penalty corner, tipping in the ball off a shot by Upton.

Junior forward Chloe Hunnable increased the lead to 2-0 at the 24:40 mark, receiving the pass and sending in the goal from the right side.

Lever found the back of the net a minute later, taking the pass from Howie from the right of the circle and tipping it in.

Syracuse finished the Spartans off with under seven minutes remaining in the game. Senior forward Marie Elena Bolles tipped the ball at the left post, sealing the Final Four berth for the Huskies.

“Obviously making the Final Four would have been a dream come true for everybody, but we fought and we believed and we improved the entire season,” Knull said. “We had a great run.”

Share and discuss “UConn ends field hockey's unpredictable postseason” on social media.