ROTC honors veterans by visiting retirement homes

<p>East Lansing resident James Dyal speaks with Army <span class="caps">ROTC</span> cadet and political science freshman Richard Maher during a Veterans Day ceremony Nov. 11, 2013, at Burcham Hills Retirement Community, 2700 Burcham Dr. Cadets and veterans were given American flag pins and certificates during a ceremony thanking them for their service. Danyelle Morrow/The State News</p>

East Lansing resident James Dyal speaks with Army ROTC cadet and political science freshman Richard Maher during a Veterans Day ceremony Nov. 11, 2013, at Burcham Hills Retirement Community, 2700 Burcham Dr. Cadets and veterans were given American flag pins and certificates during a ceremony thanking them for their service. Danyelle Morrow/The State News

Photo by Danyelle Morrow | The State News

The MSU Army ROTC Spartan Battalion paid tribute to local veterans Monday by visiting three area retirement homes and giving formal presentations as part of their Veterans Day festivities.

The presentations, which varied slightly per retirement community, consisted of prayer, a flag folding ceremony and a recitation of St. Crispins Day speech, taken from Shakespeare’s “Henry V.” Afterward, the cadets hung around to talk to the veterans and hand out mini-American flags. The presentations took place at Burcham Hills, Edgewood and Independence Village retirement communities.

Criminal justice senior and Army ROTC Cadet Amanda Dolsen has participated in retirement home visits since she first became involved with the ROTC.

“I would not want to miss the opportunity to do something like this,” Dolsen said. “It definitely hits close to home for me and is really important to have the chance to see the people that have given us so much. They gave us the things we take for granted, and these people are the reason (we have so many freedoms). The opportunity to thank them for (their service) is special, and I wish more people had the opportunity to do it.”

Lt. Col. William Parker, chairperson and professor of military science, said 32 cadets volunteered to give a presentation to the retired veterans at their respective retirement communities.

“The cadets want to honor those that came before us,” Parker said. “One thing this event does is establish the historical link to those that have carried the responsibility (of service) beforehand. We hope to build appreciation (for the veterans) and have them share their experiences.”

Some veterans were more humble about their accomplishments, such as Burcham Hills resident Bruce Greenman.

“Everyone tells me I’m a hero, but I’m not,” said Greenman, a World War II veteran. “I don’t like to revisit my time in the service. We were there because we were told to be there.”

The foyer room at Independence Village retirement home was filled with veterans and non-veterans alike, some sporting hats, pins and badges representative of their years of service.

“We need to realize where we have come from,” Dolsen said. “This organization is so much bigger than any of us. The combination of all these people who have all worked so hard make us what we are today, it brings us back to our roots. We are so happy to be here. It’s something we love doing.”

Share and discuss “ROTC honors veterans by visiting retirement homes” on social media.