MSU volleyball heads into senior weekend

<p>Senior middle blocker Alexis Mathews spikes the ball during the game against Michigan on Oct. 23, 2013, at Jenison Field House. The Spartans fell to the Wolverines, 3-1. Khoa Nguyen/The State News</p>

Senior middle blocker Alexis Mathews spikes the ball during the game against Michigan on Oct. 23, 2013, at Jenison Field House. The Spartans fell to the Wolverines, 3-1. Khoa Nguyen/The State News

Photo by Khoa Nguyen | The State News

The volleyball senior class has seen steady, season-by-season progression since joining the program.

Coming in as freshmen, middle blocker Alexis Mathews, setter Kristen Kelsay and outside hitter Kelsey Kuipers entered a program that hadn’t seen a great amount of national success.

Today, the program is in much better shape. Senior outside hitter Lauren Wicinski transferred from Northern Illinois last year, giving the team an extra boost on offense.

The improvement is apparent, as the Spartans fell in the Sweet Sixteen last season and are aiming even higher this year. Volleyball saw a historic 17-1 start to the season, knocking off powerhouses such as Nebraska and Penn State.

Head coach Cathy George said since this year’s senior class joined the program, there has been dramatic improvement in what the team has accomplished.

“I look at the program when Alexis and Kelsey and Kristen came into the program, and the milestones that we’ve hit in the course of time,” George said. “The leadership and the capabilities that they’ve brought to this group is, without a doubt, stellar.

“Lauren has made a mark on this program, bringing us that extra lift that we needed to kick us to that next level and to push us into the Big Ten. We’re thankful and happy that she is doing this.”

The senior class will have its last go-round this weekend, as the No. 16 Spartans (20-8 overall, 9-7 Big Ten) take on No. 15 Wisconsin and No. 11 Minnesota for the last home weekend of the season.

Mathews reflected on the contributions her class has made to the program, and said the upcoming weekend will be exciting.

“I’ve seen our leadership really grow and get better,” Mathews said.

“I’ve seen our cohesiveness and chemistry as a team increase exponentially. It started with us coming in and setting better and higher standards for ourselves, and sticking to that. A lot of work went into this, and I’m glad to be a part of that”

Wisconsin and Minnesota were the first two teams to hand MSU conference losses this year. The losses were the first of four straight, and the Spartans are only 3-7 since that fateful road trip.

This weekend, MSU will look to settle the score.

“We have a little something to prove knowing we can play better, and it’s exciting,” said junior libero Kori Moster. “This is our last home weekend, and for our seniors and for our team in general, this is something to look forward to, knowing that we have something to prove to both teams this weekend.”

The Spartans will take on Wisconsin on Friday and Minnesota on Saturday. Both games start at 6:30.

Share and discuss “MSU volleyball heads into senior weekend” on social media.