Column: MSU is new target for men's basketball

<p>Junior forward Branden Dawson defends Kentucky forward Julius Randle during the game against Kentucky on Nov. 12, 2013, during the Champions Classic at The United Center in Chicago, IL. The Spartans defeated the Wildcats, 78-74. Khoa Nguyen/The State News</p>

Junior forward Branden Dawson defends Kentucky forward Julius Randle during the game against Kentucky on Nov. 12, 2013, during the Champions Classic at The United Center in Chicago, IL. The Spartans defeated the Wildcats, 78-74. Khoa Nguyen/The State News

Photo by Khoa Nguyen | The State News

CHICAGO – Being No. 1 can be a difficult task. The pressure and expectations can be overwhelming. After Tuesday’s Champions Classic, MSU might have to face all of the above next week.

No. 2 MSU came out of the gates and “punched” inexperienced and top-ranked Kentucky in the mouth, just like sophomore guard Gary Harris said his team wanted to do following the 78-74 victory Tuesday night at the United Center in Chicago.

It wasn’t the prettiest game at times, but fans got what they came for — a grind-it-out until the end battle between the two top teams in the nation in the first game of the star-studded classic.

The Spartans (2-0 overall) jumped out to a quick 10-0 lead and outran the Wildcats (2-1). MSU’s defense forced Kentucky into nine first half turnovers and picked at the Wildcats’ inexperience. Kentucky finished with 17 turnovers compared to MSU’s seven.

Kentucky looked overwhelmed early on, possibly because of the big stage, but seemingly adjusted by the end of halftime. Meanwhile, MSU was hitting jumpers, knocking down shots in the post, and the defense was led by the trio of Keith Appling, Branden Dawson and Gary Harris, who each had two first-half steals.

At the start of the second half, Kentucky exchanged MSU’s punch and came out with much more energy than the Spartans. MSU looked flat to start, and the Wildcats started to get shots to fall around the rim, something they struggled with in the first half. Kentucky was only shooting 33 percent before it ended the half with three straight field goals.

In the second half, Wildcat forward Julius Randle showed the millions of people watching on ESPN why he will likely be among the first chosen for the 2014 NBA Draft.

After a sluggish start, Randle dominated the second half and scored 23 of 27 points after halftime. He also had 13 rebounds, and went 9-15 from the free throw line, but did have eight turnovers. He now has at least 20 points and 10 rebounds in all three of Kentucky’s games.

Randle and the Wildcats almost completed the comeback but were stopped after a 3-pointer by Appling, and Harris’ steal immediately after led to a layup to stop Kentucky’s momentum.

MSU’s win over Kentucky is a great step for the Spartans, but it’s just a step. The road ahead of them will only continue to get harder if they want to make it back to the Final Four and preserve Izzo’s streak. Every four-year player for Izzo has reached a Final Four.

Barring an upset, MSU likely will be the new No. 1 team in the nation next week and now will have a bullseye on their back against every opponent they face.

But the Spartans have great potential to be in Arlington, Texas, the site of the Final Four, in April. Dawson has been key in keeping MSU in the first two games with his great rebounding and playmaking ability. Izzo also has been impressed by Dawson saying he’s finally looking like the player he recruited.

With his 20-point night, Harris continues to knock down shots and is finally healthy enough to attack the boards and drive the lane. And although he didn’t get much action Tuesday, junior guard Travis Trice will be a pivotal piece off the bench with his leadership as well as his playmaking ability.

The Spartans, like most of the teams, will need to continue to adjust to the new NCAA rules about defending the ball handler. MSU finished with four players with four fouls, including senior center Adriean Payne and sophomore center Matt Costello. MSU won’t be able to go the final 10 minutes of each game without its two starting big men. MSU finished with 27 fouls.

Although MSU came out on top Tuesday, Kentucky still might be the better team by the end of the season. Give Kentucky 30-plus more games to build as a team, and the talented group of freshman will be a frightening tournament team.

In the grand scheme of things, the game matters little but to the win-loss record. But one thing is for sure, MSU now has a target on its back.

Share and discuss “Column: MSU is new target for men's basketball” on social media.