Living City- Thread by thread

<p>Lansing resident Elizabeth McMurray looks up from her work at her favorite soap opera program Nov. 13, 2013, at her alteration shop, 1810 E. Michigan Ave. McMurray has dozens of aprons hanging in her shop, a project she started in 2010 as a way to promote family unity by bringing children into the kitchen with their moms and dads. Julia Nagy/The State News</p>

Lansing resident Elizabeth McMurray looks up from her work at her favorite soap opera program Nov. 13, 2013, at her alteration shop, 1810 E. Michigan Ave. McMurray has dozens of aprons hanging in her shop, a project she started in 2010 as a way to promote family unity by bringing children into the kitchen with their moms and dads. Julia Nagy/The State News

Photo by Julia Nagy | The State News

For Lansing resident Elizabeth McMurray, her alteration shop is more than just a shop. It’s a platform to speak to the community. Liz’s Alteration Shop has been in the same spot for 35 years. Well wishes, thank you cards and customer photos line the walls of her shop.? “I consider them my friends, and I consider their kids my kids,” McMurray said.? McMurray considers her sewing skills a gift from God.

She writes presidents and other political figures prayers regardless of political party. She’s received letters from every president since Eisenhower, with the exception of President Barack Obama.? After winning a blue ribbon for sewing an apron when she was seven, the apron became a family symbol to her.

McMurray has enjoyed the opportunities her job has afforded her to meet new people.? “I can help everybody and I do help everybody,” McMurray said.

Share and discuss “Living City- Thread by thread” on social media.