Don't let pride keep you from food bank

Summer Ballentine is the State News opinion editor. Reach her at sballentine@statenews.com.

I’m not exactly who most students would picture going to the MSU Student Food Bank.

I have a home, and clothes that (for the most part) aren’t falling apart at the seams. You won’t see me begging on a corner of Grand River Avenue.

I work, but it’s hard to work enough to get by and do well in classes. We’re expected to get jobs to afford college but, ironically, we sometimes have to choose between working to pay rent and studying. Most of the time, I make do by chipping away from my savings account. Needless to say, it’s a little short after four years of school and more than half a year spent on the East Coast for internships, one unpaid. A parking ticket, an oil change or other unexpected expenses are enough to strain my monthly budget.

This month started out tighter than usual, so I did something I’ve never done before: I swallowed my pride and went to the MSU Student Food Bank.

For students living paycheck to paycheck who don’t have enough, or anything, left after rent to pay for groceries, there’s nothing wrong with asking for help.

Some students depend on the food bank to survive, and sometimes students just need staple foods so they can afford to buy other essentials at the store, said Nate Smith-Tyge, director of the food bank.

Not every students needs assistance, he said. If every student lined up for a few extra boxes of macaroni and cheese, there wouldn’t be enough for those who truly need it. The MSU Student Food Bank isn’t a free grocery store, so don’t saunter into the food bank if your aim is to save your grocery money so you can make a second trip to Harper’s. But Smith-Tyge also cautions against shying away from the center if you find your grocery fund depleted one month. You don’t have to be begging on the streets to need assistance, so don’t feel pressured to choose between paying rent and eating every day.

“We’re not just there to serve students who, without us, would go hungry,” Smith-Tyge said. “We’re also here to help all students who feel a little bit of extra help can get them over the edge.”

You’re not obligated to go back month after month if you only need help once. My first trip to the food bank likely will be my last. It was enough to get me by until my next paycheck, and hopefully I’ll be able to make it through the rest of the year without going again. With any luck, I’ll find a job after graduation and will be able to help other students the way they helped me.

If you don’t know where your next meal is coming from, or even if you don’t know how you’ll manage to afford grocery shopping a week from now, don’t be afraid to call the food bank. More people than you think have been in your shoes, and no one blames you for needing a hand to get through the rough patches.

Share and discuss “Don't let pride keep you from food bank” on social media.