Dantonio's greatest hits

Recapping Mark Dantonio's biggest wins at MSU

<p>Senior cornerback Darqueze Dennard celebrates with the Paul Bunyan trophy after the game against Michigan on Nov. 2, 2013, at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Wolverines, 29-6. Khoa Nguyen/The State News</p>

Senior cornerback Darqueze Dennard celebrates with the Paul Bunyan trophy after the game against Michigan on Nov. 2, 2013, at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Wolverines, 29-6. Khoa Nguyen/The State News

Photo by Khoa Nguyen | The State News

Through seven years at MSU, Mark Dantonio has been the catalyst of some of the most memorable moments in program history.

One of the most successful Spartan coaches since Duffy Daugherty, Dantonio already has made footprints in the sand, winning two bowl games, a Big Ten championship, an appearance in the inaugural Big Ten Championship Game and five games against in-state rival Michigan.

After defeating the Wolverines this weekend at Spartan Stadium, we’re taking a look back at five of the biggest wins of his tenure.

Nov. 2, 2013: Michigan State 29, Michigan 6

Not only was this past weekend’s win over Michigan the largest of the Mark Dantonio era, it’s the most lopsided win for MSU in the rivalry since 1967.

The Spartan defense physically dominated Devin Gardner, sacking the Wolverine quarterback seven times and holding Michigan to -48 rushing yards on the day. The win marks Dantonio’s fifth win in seven tries against the Wolverines, shifting the balance of power in a rivalry that’s traditionally been more favorable to Michigan.

And with three games to play, it puts MSU in the driver’s seat in the Big Ten’s Legends Division, as the Spartans look to return to the Big Ten Championship Game for the first time since 2011.

The game also produced the happiest portrait of Dantonio during his seven-year tenure, as the head coach was captured on an Instagram video dancing with his players in the locker room to Rich Homie Quan’s “Type of Way.”

Jan 2, 2012: Michigan State 33, Georgia 30 (3OT)

After several failed tries, the Spartans finally captured a bowl victory under Dantonio in an overtime thriller with Georgia.

Trailing by a touchdown with less than two minutes to play, then-senior quarterback Kirk Cousins orchestrated a touchdown drive on MSU’s final offensive possession of the fourth quarter, capped by a rushing touchdown by running back Le’Veon Bell.

With the game in its third overtime, kicker Dan Conroy drained a 28-yard field goal to put the Spartans ahead with a chance to win. And as Georgia attempted to tie it up to keep the game going, defensive tackle Anthony Rashad White blocked kicker Blair Walsh’s kick to seal the deal and send the Spartans home smiling.

The Outback Bowl snapped a five-year bowl losing streak and tore down the remaining wall in Dantonio’s head coaching resume.

Oct. 22, 2011: Michigan State 37, Wisconsin 31

One word: “Rocket.” It was the type of moment that still sends chills up the backs of MSU fans.

Although there were many standout moments in an exciting game with Big Ten foe Wisconsin, it was Kirk Cousins’ 44-yard Hail Mary touchdown pass to wide receiver Keith Nichol that is etched in MSU lore.

Nichol caught Cousins’ pass on a tip and forced his way into the end zone on one of the most clutch plays in MSU history, propelling the Spartans to a 6-1 record and keeping hope alive for a run at the Big Ten championship.

Sept. 18, 2010: Michigan State 34, Notre Dame 31 (OT)

One great moment deserves another.

Facing Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly for the first time, few knew what to expect under the lights of Spartan Stadium. But after a week of going over a thrilling trick play in practice, punter Aaron Bates knew what would happen if that time was right.

With the action moving forward in overtime, the Spartans lined up to kick a field goal to tie the game and attempt to hold Notre Dame on the following possession. However, when the ball came to the holder Bates, he stood up and fired a pass to tight end Charlie Gantt, who waltzed into the end zone for a touchdown to win the game.

Later that night, Dantonio was rushed to the hospital after a heart attack, forcing then-offensive coordinator Don Treadwell to lead MSU in the team’s next game against Central Michigan.

Oct. 25, 2008: Michigan State 35, Michigan 21

One year prior to this game, Michigan running back Mike Hart ignited the MSU-Michigan rivalry with his now infamous “little brother” comment, claiming superiority over the Spartans after U-M’s six-game winning streak.

But Dantonio quickly fired back at Hart and the Wolverines, telling the media the rivalry isn’t over before uttering that the “pride comes before the fall.”

Well, the fall finally had come.

Quarterback Brian Hoyer threw three touchdowns while running back Javon Ringer scored two more in a 35-21 Michigan State triumph — the first MSU win in Ann Arbor since 1990.

Honorable mentions: Oct. 3, 2009 Michigan State 26, Michigan 20; Nov. 27. 2010 Michigan State 28, Penn State 22; Oct. 1, 2011 Michigan State 10, Ohio State 7; Aug. 31, 2012 Michigan State 17, Boise State 13; Dec. 29, 2012 Michigan State 17, TCU 16.

Share and discuss “Dantonio's greatest hits” on social media.