Study abroad next summer with MSU

Photo by Isabel Calder | The State News

With about 275 study abroad options available through MSU, it can be difficult to find the right one. Here are some of the most recommended and popular study abroad programs in each college for the summer of 2014.

1.“The students study (the) scientific method to determine why herbal medicine they have used throughout the years has worked. … Our students are also able to spend time with the Chinese students in the program and talk about how they went to school and what they are learning in both places,” said Teresa Wehrwein, associate dean for Academic and Clinical Affairs for the College of Nursing.

2. “This is a series of courses of an overview of the European Union and other parts of Europe. … It has a classroom base, but there are built-in field trips to see the European institutions in action. … We think it is important that we still have a serious academic environment, but not be ignorant that we are in this exciting space to explore,” said Sherman Garnett, dean of James Madison College.

3. “Cuba is a different and changing world. … There is such a network of connections through the university and community for the students. … There are various lectures from artists, poets, writers and composers,” said James Forger, dean of the College of Music.

4. “The programs in London are the ones that attract students in the greatest numbers. … We try to place students in programs based on a selection of courses that match what they need to graduate,” said Oumatie Marajh, study abroad program director for the College of Social Science.

5. “This takes a broader look at biodiversity, not only as a biological phenomenon, but the impact in human communities nearby the wildlife. … The students do actual field research,” said Elizabeth Simmons, dean of Lyman Briggs College.

6. “Turkey is popular because it is most cost efficient for students. Students are not paying the usual MSU rate so it makes it affordable for students to be able to go,” said Maggie Blair-Ramsey, coordinator of study abroad in the College of Engineering.

Share and discuss “Study abroad next summer with MSU” on social media.