Ominous themes and eerie drinks

Getting tired of the usual alcohol-gorged, theme-lacking Halloween parties? For those looking to throw a soiree that includes more than beer guzzling, here are some ways to spice up your Halloween bash.

Create a theme for the party

The first part of throwing a Halloween party is to figure out a theme for guests to follow.

Couple costumes

An easy and popular theme to pull off is a couples costume party, and some of the best costumes are for duos. Ask attendees to dress up in pairs for the party. Some examples include Adam and Eve, Sonny and Cher, Ike and Tina Turner, spaghetti and meatballs or Harry and Lloyd from “Dumb & Dumber.”

Era costumes

Era-themed parties are simple and fun as well. Ask friends to dress up as someone from a different decade, such as a 1920s flapper, a 1950s greaser, a hippie from the ‘60s or ‘70s or a hip-hop pioneer from the ‘80s.

Film nut

Movie buffs might enjoy a film-themed party. Ask guests to dress up as their favorite movie character or film star and hand out Academy Awards for the best costumes. During the party, screen scary and Halloween-themed films. Be sure to add cult classics such as “The Rocky Horror Picture Show.”

Murder mystery

For a smaller and more intimate party, try a murder mystery theme. Only invite friends who are going to commit to the scene and be willing to become someone else for a few hours. Find or create a believable and interesting script, assign detailed roles and tell guests to dress as their characters. Make sure it is possible to pinpoint the murderer using clues within the script, and give a prize to the guest that unmasks the criminal.

Feature Halloween drinks

Beer and jungle juice still are acceptable, but add flare to the party with Halloween-themed including candy-flavored mixes and creepy concoctions.

Apple Spice Cocktail

Apple cider and spiced rum, two simple ingredients that together make a delicious combination.

Haunted jungle juice

Instead of the usual jungle juice (vodka, punch, more vodka), spice up your drink options with a batch of haunted jungle juice. Fill a plastic storage bin with your drink of choice and drop in dry ice to create a fog effect.

Milky Way Martini

Drizzle caramel in a martini glass and combine Baileys Irish Cream, chocolate liqueur and caramel-flavored vodka for an adult version of the classic candy bar.

Black Devil Martini

Mix black raspberry liqueur and vodka in a glass rimmed with orange sugar crystals. Add a black olive garnish to dress it up for Halloween.

Vampire Cocktail

Combine vanilla ice cream, triple sec, and white crème de cacao, for a dessert-worthy, treat. Drizzle red grenadine down the sides of the glass to resemble blood to suit the drink’s name.

Mud Mug

For the underage guests, blend chocolate ice cream and a generous amount of Oreo cookies. Place in a beer mug and garnish with gummy worms for a creepy Halloween quality.

Share and discuss “Ominous themes and eerie drinks” on social media.