Living City- Parkour warrior

Biochemistry and molecular biology junior Chris Porzondek discusses how he got started with the discipline of parkour.

Photo by Danyelle Morrow | The State News

For biochemistry and molecular biology junior Chris Porzondek the art of parkour isn’t a dangerous stunt. It’s a return to his childhood.?

“It’s something that we had when we were kids,” he said. “We would climb on stuff, and now I always say, ‘you did do parkour when you were little, but you kind of forgot it as you got older.’” ?

Three years ago, Porzondek and a few friends saw “Ninja Warrior,” an obstacle course TV showch. They started watching videos and training until they discovered parkour. Since then, he’s been training himself and anyone he can teach. ?

For Porzondek, the discipline is attractive because of the freedom that it offers, but the misconception that parkour is dangerous is false. While teaching, Porzondek makes sure fellow practitioners stay within their limits and training abilities.?

“Parkour has taught me how to look at life differently — I can just walk into a room and think ‘I can climb on that,’ or I can go outside and think I can climb trees again. The simplest little bench could be an hour of fun for me.”

Share and discuss “Living City- Parkour warrior” on social media.