Iowa, No. 9 Nebraska next for volleyball in weekend

This weekend, the No. 7 MSU volleyball team (15-1 overall, 4-0 Big Ten) will stay at home as they take on Iowa (9-7 overall, 0-4 Big Ten) on Friday and No. 9 Nebraska (11-2 overall, 4-0 Big Ten) on Saturday.

Iowa is the easier of the two games. The Hawkeyes have struggled in Big Ten play thus far.

However, their 6-2 formation, which is offensively oriented with six attackers in the game at any given point, could give MSU defensive problems.

“We’re going to make sure our block does what it needs to do and get set up,” head coach Cathy George said. “A tough matchup on that night.”

Iowa also is a capable defensive team, leading the Big Ten in digs per game.

George said despite Iowa being toward the bottom of the standings, they are a team MSU shouldn’t take for granted.

“They are a fiesty team and they play real hard,” she said. “They force you to be patient and to be strong and to be disciplined throughout your game.”

On Homecoming night, hours after the MSU football team takes on Indiana, the volleyball team will face Nebraska.

It’s a critical match for several reasons. By beating a volleyball powerhouse such as Nebraska, MSU would put another stamp on a season that already has been historically good for the program.

MSU and Nebraska also are the last two teams that remain undefeated in Big Ten play. Assuming both teams win their Friday matches (Nebraska will face Michigan), a team will lose its undefeated status after Saturday.

“Just being a really, really solid team they bring in the serving side, they’re passing well, they’re playing defense well, they’re blocking,” George said. “They’re a pretty good team, so we got our work cut out for us.”

A key position battle will be between Nebraska senior outside hitter Kelsey Robinson and MSU senior outside hitter Lauren Wicinski.

Both players are the reigning Co-Big Ten Volleyball Player of the Week. Robinson is this week’s reigning National Player of the Week, an honor Wicinski won last week.

Robinson also is senior setter Kristen Kelsay’s former high school teammate, adding more flair to the matchup.

“They’re good, old friends from high school, and she brings a lot of flavor to that team,” George said of Robinson.

It’s a pivotal weekend for MSU as the players look to continue their ascent in the AVCA coaches poll.

MSU will play Iowa at 7 p.m. on Friday and Nebraska at 7 p.m. on Saturday.

Share and discuss “Iowa, No. 9 Nebraska next for volleyball in weekend” on social media.