Fighting domestic violence one finger at a time

Members of the Sigma Delta Tau sorority are manicuring a new type of fundraiser to raise awareness about domestic violence — selling nail polish.

During October, Domestic Violence Awareness Month, Sigma Delta Tau is partnering with Jewish Women International, or JWI, in a national campaign to sell a $10 special edition Girls Achieve Grapeness! OPI nail polish. The polish is purple-colored, which signifies domestic violence awareness.

At MSU, Sigma Delta Tau’s Beta Beta chapter already has sold about 60 bottles of the polish as of Monday, and the goal is 124, said Sigma Delta Tau philanthropy chair Aubrey Catrone.

The sorority sold the bottles and handed out flyers about domestic violence awareness in Wells Hall this week. Online orders can also be placed through the sorority’s Facebook group.

OPI created the unique nail color and shipped about 8,500 bottles across the country to 75 Sigma Delta Tau chapters.

All the money is going to JWI and the organization’s efforts to stop domestic violence against women and children, Debbie Snyder, executive director of Sigma Delta Tau, said.

Executive Director of JWI Lori Weinstein said one out of three women experience dating abuse, which is why the sorority’s program is important.

“We need to educate others and remain educated ourselves and vigilant with understanding how being involved in an abusive relationship can derail you,” Weinstein said.

MSU’s chapter of Sigma Delta Tau was founded by Jewish women in 1964 and the sorority has collaborated with JWI on other projects, including giving flowers to domestic violence shelters across the country on Mother’s Day.

Wearing the nail polish is a statement to end domestic violence, Weinstein said.

“Our idea was to take a reputable name and create a message behind the nail polish,” Weinstein said. “As a community, we can empower young women to make strong and healthy decisions about their lives and their relationships.”

Weinstein said she hopes the nail polish makes a statement nationwide.

“Our hope is that … all of the young women will be wearing the polish and selling the polish so that hundreds of young women will be wearing it on campus with an understanding that they are part of this campaign,” Weinstein said.

Share and discuss “Fighting domestic violence one finger at a time” on social media.