Field hockey's Smith coming off big week

<p>Junior back Jenni Smith looks to pass the ball down the field during the game against Michigan on Oct. 11, 2013, at Ralph Young Field. <span class="caps">MSU</span> defeated Michigan, 3-2, in double overtime. Danyelle Morrow/The State News</p>

Junior back Jenni Smith looks to pass the ball down the field during the game against Michigan on Oct. 11, 2013, at Ralph Young Field. MSU defeated Michigan, 3-2, in double overtime. Danyelle Morrow/The State News

Photo by Danyelle Morrow | The State News

Junior back Jenni Smith, who was honored as Co-Defensive Player of the Week Tuesday, was a key member of a stifling field hockey defense last weekend that held Michigan to two points and Ball State to zero.

However, her accomplishment might have more to do with last weekend’s offensive performance.

Smith scored a team-high two goals in the 3-2 double-overtime win over Michigan last Friday, and added an assist in the 8-0 shutout over Ball State on Sunday.

“As a defender, you can have an outstanding game. But unless you’re scoring goals or you’re getting a ton of defensive saves or assists, it’s pretty hard to get,” said head coach Helen Knull. “It’s great to see one of our defenders come out and score some goals off of corners, and then earn the award.”

As a committee, the Spartan defense had a standout weekend. It held Michigan to two goals scored despite the Wolverines attempting 17 shots. Two days later, Ball State could only get four shots off in route to a shutout.

Smith’s offensive output separated her from the pack. But it’s no coincidence that with two strong defensive games, MSU swept its first weekend of the season.

“Obviously, scoring two goals against Michigan was huge,” Knull said. “I think it also propelled her game for the rest of the game on Friday, and then going into Sunday and I think for even this week too.”

Smith, who was surprised but happy with the achievement, said a hard week of practice is to credit for the team’s weekend defensive stand.

“We worked on that in practice so it was so much work put in it,” Smith said. “We trained so hard during the week for the Michigan game and the Ball State game that it paid off, it worked. Our game plan worked perfectly.”

Junior forward Allie Ahern, who leads the team in goals and is tied for third in the Big Ten in season goals scored with 10, said the Spartans rely on the defense, which she said as a unit is pretty good.

“They get us out of situation a lot, which helps our team and helps us win games,” Ahern said. “Jenni’s been doing a great job with her drags on corners, and just executing on defense. So that’s good for her and I’m glad she got the Big Ten award.”

Smith said though the award is an individual accomplishment, she wouldn’t have won it without the combined defensive effort of her team last weekend.

“It’s such an achievement, but the team, they were there and I wouldn’t have got it without them,” Smith said. “It’s such a team effort that is basically not just for me, it’s for all of us.”

Share and discuss “Field hockey's Smith coming off big week” on social media.