Community member teaches Israeli military self-defense

Isaac Cohen, a Krav Maga instructor, explains his extension of the technique, Sword of Gideon. Cohen and his students demonstrated the self-defense technique for The State News on Oct. 17.

Photo by Anya Rath | The State News

With the number of reported assaults on the rise in the MSU community, it is crucial for students to know how to defend themselves against attackers. There are a number of techniques for students to learn how to react in dangerous situations. One of these techniques is Krav Maga, an Israeli military self-defense technique.

Isaac Cohen, Okemos resident and Krav Maga instructor, offers private lessons for those interested in learning how to defend themselves. What sets Cohen apart from other Krav Maga instructors is an extension of the technique he personally developed and teaches — Sword of Gideon.

Cohen’s emphasis is on deterring fights from happening while maintaining a cool and calm composure.

“It’s not by might (that) you win the fight, but by spirit,” Cohen said.

Cohen, who has been practicing the self-defense application since he was 4 years old, developed the concept behind Sword of Gideon 40 years ago. He has been involved with the MSU community for the past 25 years through the Lester and Jewell Morris Hillel Jewish Student Center, or MSU Hillel.

Cohen said Sword of Gideon is not about achieving multiple black belts or winning trophies.

“Here, it’s not about impressing anybody,” Cohen said. “It’s about defending your own life. The trophy is your life, your body. Nobody has the permission to touch your body.”

Cohen’s training is centered around not having any moves that emphasize aggressiveness. Rather, it aims to quickly diffuse any tense situations.

Cohen said he holds many of his training sessions outside in order to make the scenarios seem more realistic to his students.

During his demonstration, many of Cohen’s techniques involved tricks to quickly and effectively stop the attacker. Breathing exercises also are a major part of his strategy.

“If you don’t control you, how can you control a bad situation?” Cohen asked.

MSU alumnus Jim Keytonmk has trained with Cohen for the past year. He started the process to make sure that he was able to keep himself and his family safe.

The biggest change he has noticed is that he is more relaxed in his daily life because of the self-control the training has taught him.

“I think it’s more real-life applicable — it’s not something you see on TV,” Keyton said.

Keyton’s brother, Darren Keyton, was introduced to Sword of Gideon by Jim. He also has found himself more relaxed and concentrated as a result of his training. Additionally, Darren Keyton, a former Detroit Lions offense lineman, has seen improvements in his performance.

He believes learning Sword of Gideon is an asset for students.

“You’re not learning fighting, you’re learning how to protect yourself,” Darren Keyton said. “(It) saves your body and saves other people around you.”

Cohen said there are many tricks students can use to avoid getting into dangerous situations — many of them involve staying street-smart.

Cohen will be doing a demonstration of Sword of Gideon at 7 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 24 at MSU Hillel.

Share and discuss “Community member teaches Israeli military self-defense” on social media.