'Glow Green' initiative goes dark, shipping problem to blame

The green glow that normally pervades East Lansing during Homecoming week could be dimmed after a holdup at customs prevented a shipment of green lightbulbs from reaching university officials.

For the past two years, the MSU Alumni Association has made a tradition of handing out green lightbulbs as part of its Glow Green campaign. The campaign is meant to bring everyone in the community together to celebrate Homecoming, MSU Alumni Association Communications Manager Nicole Hordos said.

But this year, the shipment of bulbs didn’t quite make the trip to East Lansing in time for the annual festivities. The bulbs were stopped at a U.S. customs checkpoint in California while en route from overseas. Hordos did not know where the bulbs were coming from.

“We aren’t sure what exactly happened to them at customs, but we weren’t able to get them before Homecoming week,” Hordos said.

The confusion surrounding the bulbs’ location have been frustrating MSU students around campus.

Public policy sophomore Zack Smith values campaigns such as Glow Green and was unhappy by what he perceived as a lack of planning on the part of those in charge of the campaign.

“One of the great things about MSU is the school spirit,” Smith said. “The shipment must have been last minute. … I’m really disappointed.”

Consumers Energy, who partners with the Alumni Association, was able to find a few spare boxes of green bulbs to hand out this year. The Alumni Association distributed what few bulbs they had to residence halls and the Association of Future Alumni, or AFA, to give to students.

The AFA still is handing out bulbs in its offices at the Union.

“We have been handing out bulbs for quite some time this year — it’s only picked up in the past couple of weeks,” said Janel Rutzen, Association of Future Alumni staff program coordinator.

Rutzen said any student is able to get a free bulb, but supplies are running low. Students can attempt to acquire a bulb by going to the AFA or the front desk of their residence hall.

Hordos said if students aren’t able to get a free bulb, she encourages everyone to still “Glow Green” during Homecoming.

“We have noticed local stores selling green bulbs this week,” Hordos said.

Some students said they aren’t deterred and plan to show their Spartan spirit regardless.

“I will still probably go out and buy one,” advertising senior Christian Arthur said. “You see them everywhere this time of year.”

Share and discuss “'Glow Green' initiative goes dark, shipping problem to blame” on social media.