Professor's artwork fills exhibit

<p>Holt, Mich. resident Stacey Burley reads information about the painting on her phone, left, while Okemos, Mich. resident Dale Elshoff, right, admires it on Sept. 19, 2013, at Nisbet Building. Georgina De Moya/ The State News</p>

Holt, Mich. resident Stacey Burley reads information about the painting on her phone, left, while Okemos, Mich. resident Dale Elshoff, right, admires it on Sept. 19, 2013, at Nisbet Building. Georgina De Moya/ The State News

Photo by Georgina De Moya | The State News

Toby Ten Eyck is no ordinary professor. Along with teaching his regular classes, Ten Eyck has been an artist in his spare time since 2002.

A reception for Ten Eyck’s artwork was held yesterday at MSUglobal’s innovative space at the Nisbet Building.

“I wanted to find a creative outlet, so I decided to give painting a try,” Ten Eyck said. “I instantly fell in love with it.”

A collection of Ten Eyck’s favorites, titled Inspired By Color: Paintings That Make Time Move Faster, are on display until Oct. 31.

Ten Eyck, an associate sociology professor, said he enjoys painting landscape and that his artwork is all about trying to find a balance between form and color.

“I use art in the classroom as a communication tool,” Ten Eyck said. “Art has been inspired by communicating messages since the beginning of time.”

Ten Eyck said cavemen are some of the oldest examples of people who used art to communicate.

Doctoral student Kelly Birch said Ten Eyck’s artwork expresses different issues and his paintings are very personal.

“Toby’s artwork is special and integrated with a social perspective on the world with a variety of different issues,” Birch said.

Patrick Hayes, communications manager for MSUglobal, said visitors of the reception will have the opportunity to use an app to scan a QR code next to the painting and see a description of that particular piece.

Graduate student Jen Wray said she paints as well and enjoys talking to Ten Eyck about art because it’s a hobby they both have in common.

“His artwork is very subjective, every piece of art has a different message,” Wray said.

Hayes said the paintings in MSUglobal have brightened the office and that it brings people in who are connected to Ten Eyck.

The MSUglobal office is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Share and discuss “Professor's artwork fills exhibit” on social media.