Izzo addresses expectations, leaders

State News sports editor Matt Sheehan and sports reporter Zach Smith discuss the opening of the MSU men’s basketball season and the need for the Spartans to establish a leader heading into the season.

Photo by Dillon Davis | The State News

The MSU’s men’s basketball team is expected to be among the nation’s best teams for the 2013-14 season, but head coach Tom Izzo wants to keep expectations in perspective.

The Spartans are opening up a new campaign and are anticipated to be among the top five teams in the country. They are even being touted as the No. 1 team in the Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook Preseason Top 25, ahead of Kentucky, Louisville, Duke and Arizona, respectively.

However, it was just three seasons ago that the Spartans opened with a No. 2 national ranking with guard Kalin Lucas on a regional Sports Illustrated cover before stumbling to a 19-15 overall record and a first round exit in the NCAA Tournament.

Prior to opening practice to members of the Izzone on Friday, Izzo said he’s “excited” to be ranked so high, but also understands the team needs to live up to expectations.

“(During) the last 15 years, we’ve been a top 20 program, a top 15 program a lot and a top 10 program enough, but there is a difference when you’re a top five,” Izzo said. “Within a couple years, I’ve seen a No. 1 out in the first round and a No. 1 and be to a Final Four, so I hope the players are as smart as I am in that respect and know that it’s just a ranking, like everything else.”

Last season, the Spartans ended a stellar run after being ousted by head coach Mike Krzyzewski and the Blue Devils in the Sweet 16 at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.

Entering a new season, the Spartans only lose center Derrick Nix while adding freshmen forwards Gavin Schilling and Alvin Ellis III, who was released from a previous commitment to Minnesota after the dismissal of head coach Tubby Smith.

Nix, along with junior guard Russell Byrd and senior guard Keith Appling, was appointed to be a captain in January and served as one of MSU’s team captains in 2012-13.

However, Izzo was not pleased with the team’s overall leadership in the first season without outspoken forward Draymond Green. Green was known for being a vocal leader on and off the court, unafraid to call out teammates who were not living up to the program’s standards — no doubt an asset that’s earned him admiration and playing time for the NBA’s Golden State Warriors.

Izzo said the team will make a decision on captains in a week or two, which he said be the culmination of a joint decision between the players and coaching staff. And with the current decision, Izzo said the Spartans might look for a different type of individual than the one he’s typically looked for in the past.

“It’s been an ongoing thing; it’s an ongoing problem with a lot of teams,” he said. “Maybe I’m looking for the (Mateen) Cleaves, the (Travis) Waltons, the Draymonds, the vocal guys that really get after it, and maybe I gotta look for the guy that’s respected the most by them and in some way, not lead by example — cause I hate that term — but find a way to get guys to do things the right way in a different way, maybe not as boisterous.”

After a pair of exhibition games, the Spartans open the regular season against McNeese State before traveling to Chicago’s United Center for a Nov. 12 showdown with Kentucky in the Champions Classic (7:30 p.m., ESPN).

Share and discuss “Izzo addresses expectations, leaders” on social media.