Hot start for volleyball is just the beginning

<p>Junior defensive specialist Ryian Hubbard celebrates with the student section after winning the game against Oregon, Sept. 6, 2013, at Jenison Field House. The Spartans defeated Oregon, 3-1. Danyelle Morrow/The State News</p>

Junior defensive specialist Ryian Hubbard celebrates with the student section after winning the game against Oregon, Sept. 6, 2013, at Jenison Field House. The Spartans defeated Oregon, 3-1. Danyelle Morrow/The State News

Photo by Danyelle Morrow | The State News

At the eve of the 2013 volleyball season, junior libero and co-captain Kori Moster made it abundantly clear — the Spartans are striving for more.

Following a successful 2012 season, it only fits that the bar has been raised. After a Sweet 16 exit last year, MSU’s appetite for success has grown. The Spartans yearn for a Final Four appearance. A national championship berth would be even better.

Though there is plenty of season left, last weekend might have been a sign that the team’s lofty season goals might be a sign of things to come.

The Spartans displayed their mantle in a 3-1 match victory against national-championship runner-up Oregon last Friday. Though they missed the play of sophomore setter Halle Peterson and freshman outside hitter Chloe Reinig, who was slated to start, MSU defeated Oregon behind a vicious one-two punch from senior middle blocker Alexis Mathews and senior outside hitter Lauren Wicinski.

After following up the momentum-shifting win with a 3-0 sweep against Oregon State, the nation has taken notice. MSU has improved its AVCA Coaches Poll ranking and now are ranked No. 15.

Considering how the previous season finished, it only fits this year the ante has been upped.

Finishing with a 25-10 overall record and Sweet 16 exit, last season was one of the best in recent team history. And with most of last year’s starting lineup returning, along with a nationally ranked freshman class that already has made their mark on the season, this could very well be the best team head coach Cathy George has led in her nine years with the team.

But it’s too soon to write “MSU” into your NCAA volleyball brackets just yet. There’s a long season ahead.

Despite strong play, MSU has yet to create separation in a loaded Big Ten conference. Their 5-1 record falls lags behind several teams, including undefeated teams Minnesota, who stands No. 1 in the Big Ten, Wisconsin, Ohio State and Michigan.

But that’s the beauty in early-season play — it’s early. The real test will come when Big Ten play starts in a few weeks. MSU will look to improve on last year’s 11-9 record in conference play.

There’s a lot to like with this year’s volleyball team — strong veteran leadership, talented play from the young players, and a resiliency that may come to define the season. A Final Four appearance could be called lofty by some. But it’s certainly not out of the question.

Share and discuss “Hot start for volleyball is just the beginning ” on social media.