Athletic graduation rate higher than NCAA average

Student athletes’ academic achievements became a point of pride for MSU after athletes received above-average academic scores across the board, officials said Tuesday.

MSU’s athlete graduation rate is similar to that of the student body and is higher than the NCAA Division 1 average, said Michael Kasavana, MSU Athletic Council chair and professor of hospitality business, during a University Council meeting on Tuesday.

The faculty-based athletic council evaluates student-athlete academic progress every semester.

The university’s Academic Progress Report, or APR, scores, which measure eligibility, retention and graduation over a four-year period, are above the national median for every sport, Kasavana said.

The average APR scores for all MSU teams is 978, with a national average of 974, according to NCAA.org.

“We are very proud of our accomplishments in that area,” he said.

The highest APR score at the university is 1,000, which is held by both gymnastics and men’s tennis, according to the report.

The lowest of the MSU teams was the men’s golf team with an APR score of 954.

If a team’s APR goes below 930 — which is about a 50 percent graduation rate — it is not eligible to compete in NCAA tournaments, which happened to Connecticut’s men’s basketball team this past year, MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon said.

“We’re not anywhere near the 930 — we’re nowhere near at risk,” she said. “We can always do better, the trajectory is positive and the APR are putting us in the top institutions.”

APR scores are like baseball batting averages, Kasavana said. They’re really percentages — 954 means 95.4 percent of student-athletes remained academically eligible and stayed in school at the university.

Simon said the numbers are real time and hold coaches accountable to their athlete’s eligibility.

One retired faculty member, Bruce Miller, asked that graduation rates be broken out by sport, but Simon said the problem with that is the small sampling size, especially in sports like basketball where there might be only two players in a recruiting class.

The graduation rate measures each class, not the entire team, which makes the numbers variable year-to-year.

Acting Provost June Youatt said the complete report of athletes’ academic achievements is publicly available online.

Share and discuss “Athletic graduation rate higher than NCAA average” on social media.