Whole Foods to open Okemos store in 2015

Location will become the market's 7th in Michigan

Whole Foods Market, the eighth-largest food and drug store in the U.S., will open a new location in the East Lansing area in 2015.

Founded in Austin, Texas in 1980, with a staff of 19 people, Whole Foods will build its newest Michigan location on East Grand River Avenue, engulfing the space currently home to Velocipede Peddler, 2758 E. Grand River Ave., according to Meridian Township Director of Community Planning and Development Mark Kieselbach.

Although Kieselbach was not involved in the negotiation between Whole Foods and Velocipede Peddler, he said that there were discussions of having a multitenant building between the two, however, the plan failed.

Velocipede Peddler will relocate to a new location, he added.

“It’s a real boost for that new business to come into the township,” Kieselbach said. “It may jump-start some redevelopment in that whole area.”

Kieselbach said he has not received a site plan from Whole Foods and that it is in the beginning stages of the development process. He said the next steps include getting the appropriate permits and having the approval of the planning commission and township board.

“We’re incredibly excited about the opportunity to develop connections within the Lansing community,” Whole Foods Market Midwest Regional President Michael Bashaw said.

Bashaw said the East Lansing store, which will be the seventh Michigan Whole Foods location, will offer a wide selec tion of fresh produce to a diverse pool of customers.

The store will be approximately 35,000 square feet and create roughly 150 jobs, ranging from community service to store leadership

Community support also is a priority to the store, Bashaw said. During Whole Foods Market’s Quarterl y Community Support days, 5 percent of a day’s sales are donated to a local nonprofit organization. In another program called “One Dime at a Time,” customers have the option of having their 10 cent bag refunded and donated to a nonprofit organization.

Whole Foods had sales of $11.7 billion in fiscal year 2012 and has 355 stores in the United States, Canada and United Kingdom.

Growing up in Tampa, Fla., child development senior ?Sarah Bowling enjoyed the convenience of Whole Foods’ Take & Bake pizzas.

Bowling said she is excited that “the best salad and food stations” will soon be a short drive away.

“Even though it’s a little (expensive), their food is so good and very convenient,” Bowling said.

Share and discuss “Whole Foods to open Okemos store in 2015” on social media.