MSU alumna competing for 2014 Maxim Hometown Hottie

MSU alumna Bailee Beachy is showing that the rivalry between MSU and Michigan goes far beyond sports enthusiast.

The former Spartan is a semifinalist in Maxim magazine’s annual Hometown Hottie competition. Also battling for the title is former Michigan Wolverine Jessica Ashley.

“I’ve never met her, but I’ve seen her and she’s beautiful,” Beachy said. “But what sets me apart from the other girls is my personality.”

In her Maxim video and profile, Beachy magnifies her sense of humor, small-town roots and athleticism.

“A lot of the other girls in their videos are kind of just sitting there smiling and posing. They don’t really tell a lot about themselves,” Beachy said. “In my video, I’m acting goofy and weird, and I think that makes it kind of nice. Beachy, who now lives in Los Angeles, said growing up in Pigeon, Mich., a town with a population of 1,200, didn’t dissuade her from moving to a big city to follow her dreams.

“I’m from an actual village, it’s called the Village of Pigeons,” Beachy said. “My last name is Beachy, so I think I was meant to be on the beach.”

Fresh of out of college with no job, no apartment and enough money to last a month, Beachy packed up and set out to make her dreams come true.

“When I graduated, I was like, ‘I need adventure, I need to do something spontaneous,’” Beachy said. “I think the scariest part to me was coming out here without a job … I didn’t have an apartment either, so I lived out of a hotel for the first week.”

Now five months later, Beachy has done commercial and runway modeling, models for My Model Management and has a shot to become Maxim’s 2014 Hometown Hottie — all of which Beachy’s mom, Robin, said came as no surprise.

“It didn’t surprise me, but we were scared, of course,” Robin said. “She’s a small-town girl in a big city, but we were happy for her because she had a dream and she was going to get it.”

The top 100 Maxim magazine Hometown Hottie semifinalists will appear in the magazine that hits shelves Aug. 12.

Dairy management sophomore Ella Higgins said seeing an MSU student in Maxim magazine is something she wouldn’t expect, but its something she supports.

“I think it’s really cool that an MSU student is going to be in Maxim as a semifinalist,” Higgins said. “You don’t usually hear of people from Michigan doing anything like that.”

To vote for Beachy, visit www.maxim.com and click on the Girls tab and then Hometown Hotties 2014 and select Bailee. Supporters can vote multiple times, once per day, until Aug. 26.

Share and discuss “MSU alumna competing for 2014 Maxim Hometown Hottie” on social media.