Dantonio unveils Spartan captains

Maxwell not among the selected group

<p>Senior linebacker Max Bullough listens in a huddle Aug. 9, 2013, at the practice field outside Duffy Daugherty Football Building. Julia Nagy/The State News</p>

Senior linebacker Max Bullough listens in a huddle Aug. 9, 2013, at the practice field outside Duffy Daugherty Football Building. Julia Nagy/The State News

Photo by Julia Nagy | The State News

Following the end of preseason camp, MSU football head coach Mark Dantonio has named his three captains for the upcoming season.

Senior linebacker Max Bullough will begin his second season as a team captain and he’ll be joined by senior cornerback Darqueze Dennard and senior guard Blake Treadwell to serve as captains for the 2013 season.

“We’ve got great representation, not just among the captains, but all 12 guys we voted for to sort of be our leadership council,” Dantonio said on Thursday. “So, I’m excited about that. The end of camp, we came out of it with no serious injuries so that’s a positive.

“We’re looking forward to next week and we’re getting ready.”

Few were surprised with the decision to name Bullough, who led the Spartans with 111 tackles a season ago, as a team captain. And rounding out the group are the experienced and, more recently, vocal seniors Dennard and Treadwell.

It’s been well documented that Bullough is a third-generation Spartan football player with his grandfather Hank Bullough (1952-54) and father Shane Bullough (1983-86) playing a large part in the program’s history.

Continuing a strong family legacy at MSU, Bullough said he’s dreamed of being an MSU football captain since was young. But for Max, the responsibility of being named a team captain comes in knowing that actions often speak louder than words when it comes to leadership.

“You’ve got to show up every day and you’ve gotta be a man of integrity, a man of character, a man of hard work,” Bullough said. “You know, that only comes in coming every day and doing that. Obviously, you need to say the right things and that comes along with the job but you need to do the right thing first and then everyone will listen to you.”

Perhaps the most surprising selection of the three is Treadwell, who often isn’t characterized for being an outspoken player.

The son of former MSU offensive coordinator and current Miami (Ohio) football head coach Don Treadwell — along with being Dantonio’s godson — Blake said the decision was an emotional and ultimately exciting one for him.

“As soon as I heard it out of Coach D’s mouth, my heart dropped,” Blake Treadwell said. “I had to hold back some tears a little bit because I get emotional when I speak, which some people don’t know about me. So it was such a great moment and after the meeting, talking to the team and talking to my dad, he gave me some good advice so I was very proud.”

The decision also unseats senior quarterback Andrew Maxwell, who served as a team captain during his junior season.

However, Dantonio said Maxwell was one of 12 players voted to the team’s leadership council and will continue to provide a strong sense of leadership on and off the field.

“It’s not so much what Andrew didn’t do, it’s what Blake Treadwell did do and when you vote as a team, it’s just going to come out,” Dantonio said. “You look at it and let the players speak. They took action in that area and it doesn’t mean Andrew Maxwell is not a leader on this team.

“He’s a big leader, a very big part of this team and a big leader.”

Dantonio has named a leadership council for the past several seasons, often referred to as “eagles,” who will serve as an alternate captain for games throughout the regular season. The entire list of MSU’s leadership council has not been released to the media or the general public, according to MSU sports information director Ben Phlegar.

Share and discuss “Dantonio unveils Spartan captains” on social media.