The Avett Brothers entertain diverse Common Ground crowd with folk, rock blend

A look at the eclectic crowd at the folk day of Common Ground. Song: “Jesse Got Trapped in the Coal Mine,” by Goodnight, Texas.

Locals and world travelers alike found some common ground tonight: folk music.

Much of the Common Ground crowd at Adado River Front Park were there to see the evening’s headliner The Avett Brothers, but others from England to Tennessee came for other groups such as Tokyo Police Club and Josh Ritter and the Royal City Band.

Camera in hand, a wide-eyed Machester, England resident Audrey Matusz jumped and screamed as Tokyo Police Club took to the GM Pavilion stage. Matusz, who traveled with a few friends to come to Lansing to stay with a cousin, visited Common Ground to see the band.

“I am a billion times excited just to see Dave Monks,” Matusz said.

It was her first time seeing them in concert and her first time in the U.S. As she watched the band, hands waving back and forth, she eventually convinced one of the crew to let her backstage for a meet and greet. Matusz was going to meet the band of her middle school dreams.

“It was all I thought it would be and more,” Matusz said.

Nashville, Tenn. resident Sonia Franzago was visiting family and adding another Josh Ritter and the Royal City Band concert to her list. She’s seen numerous of his shows across the country.

“He puts on a fabulous show,” Franzago said.

For Goodnight, Texas, from New York and San Francisco, who described their music as playing a 45 rpm record at 43, playing the same music festival as the Avett Brothers is a huge honor.

“I’m not worthy,” bassist Scott Padden joked.

Their music is of a different world, a mix of Appalachian mountain sound and folk inspired by the Civil War era. The twang of banjo strumming filled the GM Pavilion as they took the stage. Drummer Alex Nash said the band is fascinated by the history of Civil War.

“I think our music kind of reflects that,” Nash said. “There’s so much mystery to those times. We try to stay as eclectic as possible.”

American Opera singer John Bee, from New York, said he loves touring and traveling and was excited to play the show in Lansing.

“I like to stomp my feet and yell into the microphone as much as possible,” Bee said. “I just love to sing. Every time I tour, I try to come back to Michigan.”

Bee, who originally is from Saginaw, Mich., still has family in Michigan. For Bee, playing in the same park as Avett Brothers is “unbelievable.”

“I feel like a little kid,” Bee said. “They’re going to kick my ass on stage.”

Avett Brothers, who many of the fans listed as the reason for coming to Common Ground, took to the main stage. “Pretty Girl from Michigan” rang out as the crowd swayed, danced with one another, and sang along.

For Clio, Mich., resident Joseph Lash, the hour drive was nothing for some good music.

“I think it’s neat all the groups they have here,” Lash said. “They picked well.”

Follow along with our Common Ground Music Festival coverage at statenews.com, on Twitter at @SN_Features and by using the #TSNCG2013 hashtag on Twitter and Facebook

Share and discuss “The Avett Brothers entertain diverse Common Ground crowd with folk, rock blend” on social media.