Lansing studio houses up-and-coming hip-hop artists

<p>Lansing resident Eric Ware raps his new album &#8220;No More Excuses II&#8221; on July 17, 2013, at Studio 707, 2722 E. Michigan Ave. Ware has been professionally rapping since 2001. Weston Brooks/The State News</p>

Lansing resident Eric Ware raps his new album “No More Excuses II” on July 17, 2013, at Studio 707, 2722 E. Michigan Ave. Ware has been professionally rapping since 2001. Weston Brooks/The State News

Photo by Weston Brooks | The State News

In recent years, the Lansing area has slowly grown into a hub for up-and-coming hip-hop artists. Local producers such as Curshawn Terrell are working to keep the trend alive.

Terrell also known as LaKaze, of Lansing’s Studio 707, and member of the Chemist Music Group production company, has done a lot of work with local artists to put Lansing hip-hop on the map.

Studio 707, which has been based in Lansing for three and a half years, has already worked with big names in the music industry such as Ace Hood and T.I.

Jeff Woods, Terrell’s publicist, said he has been helping to find local talent since a young age and the studio has opened many doors for aspiring artists.

“Basically, we want to help out upcoming new talent and give them a chance to get exposure,” Woods said.

Terrell and his partner Darius Bunton’s production company, the Chemist Music Group, was signed to DJ Khaled’s We The Best Music Group.

He said they were appreciative of the opportunity to work with Khaled.

“Getting signed to DJ Khaled was huge,” Terrell said. “Us working with Khaled has definitely opened doors for the Chemist Music Group… you can definitely learn a lot from working with Khaled.”

Terrell said the most recent song they produced, “Kickin Flav” by Big Kuntry King and featuring T.I., led to a contract that allows them to produce music for televison and film companies such as Warner Bros., NBC and ABC.

Lansing rapper Lavish, real name Billy Ford, has been working at Studio 707 since 2005 and said working at the studio gave his career a boost.

“It boosted my career a lot because of who they are (and) who they have done work with,” Ford said. “So working with them and to be affiliated with them in itself is a big boost.”

Ford said that Lansing artists are starting to co-exist — and that is helping the local hip-hop scene grow.

“I see the hip-hop scene going to places it’s never been before in Lansing,” Ford said.

Share and discuss “Lansing studio houses up-and-coming hip-hop artists” on social media.