Slash Bash

Legendary Guns N' Roses guitarist Slash headlines rocking evening at Common Ground Music Festival

Members of Red Stone Souls discuss Common Ground and Slash.

Photo by Matthew Pizzo | The State News

Old or young, the third day of the Common Ground Music Festival attracted music lovers of all ages with a lineup featuring legendary guitarist Slash and local up-and-coming metal bands.

A night filled with loud guitar solos and heavy drums attracted large crowds, especially when former Guns N’ Roses and Velvet Revolver guitarist Slash featuring Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators took the stage.

One element continuing to keep Common Ground fresh in its 14th year is the integration of local bands such as Red Stone Souls and DeverauX — giving them the opportunity to expand their fan base on a major stage.

Drummer David Harris of Lansing-based band DeverauX said it was beyond words being on the same bill as the legendary guitarist.

“I just hope I get the chance to meet the guy, in my book that’s a living legend right there,” Harris said.

Harris said the band only has been together for a year and a half but won the Holt, Mich.-based Q106 Homegrown Throwdown two years consecutively and played at the Common Ground festival last year.

“Last year was an amazing show; we expect nothing less this year, it seems to be panning out to be a great event,” Harris said. “The festival is organized great, the sound is great (and) we’re really happy to be a part of it.”

Several of the evening’s bands were put front and center by local television personality Evan Pinsonnault.

Pinsonnault, an anchor and features reporter at WLNS TV-6, spent the evening entertaining the crowd and introducing bands at the GM Pavilion stage, which included Red Stone Souls, Almost Kings, Wilson and the headliner, Echoes of Pink Floyd.

Having been a part of Common Ground for five years, Pinsonnault said the festival has grown tremendously, which makes it an enjoyable summer staple in the Lansing area.

“Here in this setting, (fans) come out and experience your music for the first time,” Pinsonnault said. “All the positive momentum allows bands like DeverauX and our local bands to get the traction they need.”

Guitarist of the Detroit band Red Stone Souls, Beau Felix, said the band is trying to get their music out as fast as possible because not many people have heard of the band and Common Ground is a great way to put their foot in the door.

“Crazy to put our names among the other people that are playing these seven days,” Felix said.

Follow along with our Common Ground Music Festival coverage at statenews.com, on Twitter at @SN_Features and by using the #TSNCG2013 hashtag on Twitter and Facebook

Don’t know what day to visit Common Ground? Check out our interactive guide on the hottest days of the festival!

Share and discuss “Slash Bash” on social media.