Wonderdog

Clint Tarver discusses owning his own hotdog stand and giving back to the community.

Photo by Weston Brooks | The State News

On the corner of Capitol Avenue and Michigan Avenue, there is a man with tasty food and a big smile. Clint Tarver has been making hot dogs for more than 15 years in Lansing and has made a name for himself.

Saying “hello” to practically everyone walking by, it’s easy to see why many love Tarver. Tarver first worked across from the Radisson Hotel in Lansing, and it took him eight years to get the best location next to the Capitol building.

“This is the top spot; everyone’s walking by here,” Tarver said.

The people are Tarver’s favorite part about the business, and without the interactions he would not be a street vendor.

Tarver is also a deacon and a mentor to children and is now starting a program for people who come out of prison, giving them a hot dog cart to start their own business.

“Hopefully, that will work for some of these (ex-convicts), it’s awfully hard to get a job when you get out of prison,” Tarver said.

For the man who has given so much to Lansing, he just wants to thank everyone for supporting him.

“I want to thank everyone in Lansing for being so concerned about me and just wish everyone well.”

Share and discuss “Wonderdog” on social media.