Rising Michigan gas prices affect everyday transportation decisions

<p>Williamston, Mich., resident Sally Harwood puts gas into her car June 9, 2013, at the Admiral gas station, 1120 E. Grand River Ave. The average gas price in Michigan is $4.25, which is the highest in the midwest.</p>

Williamston, Mich., resident Sally Harwood puts gas into her car June 9, 2013, at the Admiral gas station, 1120 E. Grand River Ave. The average gas price in Michigan is $4.25, which is the highest in the midwest.

Photo by Weston Brooks | The State News

MSU students, faculty and local business owners have taken notice to Michigan’s skyrocketing gas prices, which have driven East Lansing residents to rethink their travel and transportation decisions.

Recent reports have slated Michigan as one of the most expensive states when it comes to gasoline prices, averaging $4.22 per gallon in the state, according to AAA’s daily gas report.

Economics professor Charles Ballard said prices are higher in Michigan than most other states because it is far away from a lot of the refining capacity in the U.S.

“Most of the oil in the U.S. is located in the Gulf Coast,” Ballard said. “You obviously need oil to make gas, so the location of the refineries probably contributed to the run-up on gas prices.”

Economics professor Ken Boyer said if gasoline prices remained above $4.00 per gallon for several years, it would induce drivers to get vehicles with higher gas mileage and change where they live relative to their jobs to save on commuting costs.

Amir Tahmasebi, owner of a local Citgo gas station, 1301 E. Grand River Ave., said when the gas prices are high, the number of customers that come in get the minimum amount of gas they need for the day.

“Customers would pump $4 or $5 at a time to survive for what they need,” Tahmasebi said. “Customers tend to adjust their decisions with their budget.”

Marketing senior David Niesyto said he tries to minimize his driving by taking a more planned approach and takes care of all his errands on one trip.

Accounting senior Kevin Rademacher believes gas prices will not only affect a person’s everyday life, but also where people will be travelling to this summer.

“Cities whose economies rely heavily on tourism will take a big hit with higher gas prices because people would rather save money by vacationing to a place closer to their home,” Rademacher said.

Boyer thinks that the important thing to remember about the current spike in gasoline prices is that it is temporary, and with fuel prices being volatile, this is generally recognized by drivers.

Share and discuss “Rising Michigan gas prices affect everyday transportation decisions” on social media.