Study sparks debate on safety of no-helmet law

Although helmets often are a symbol of safety, materials science and engineering sophomore Kegan McKinnon said if his cousin had been wearing a helmet during his motorcycle crash in Arizona, he wouldn’t be alive today.

McKinnon said his cousin is part of a small percentage of riders who benefitted from not wearing a helmet ­­— the chin strap on a helmet could have decapitated his cousin during the accident, he said.
“He’s just lucky to be alive — period,” McKinnon said.

Still, a new university study estimating dozens of Michigan resident deaths could have been avoided last year if all motorcycle riders wore helmets has sparked conversation regarding Michigan’s controversial motorcycle helmet law.

Last April, Gov. Rick Snyder approved a bill voiding the almost 50-year safety law requiring all Michigan residents to wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle.

Under the new law, riders more than 21 years old who have two years of motorcycle experience and carry at least $20,000 in health insurance can ride without a helmet.

Using crash data from the Office of Highway Planning and Safety, the University of Michigan study estimates 26 deaths and 49 critical injuries would not have occurred in 2011 if Michigan residents still were required by law to wear helmets while riding a motorcycle.

Michigan motorcyclist deaths increased by 18 percent in 2012, according to the Office of Highway Planning and Safety. The office reported deaths increased from 109 in 2011 to 129 in 2012.

The study shows 74 percent of motorcyclists who crashed last year wore helmets, while 98 percent of riders wore helmets when the previous three years.

Reported motorcycle deaths without helmets have decreased by about 38 percent between 2007-11, according to the office’s 2012 report. Helmeted deaths remained stagnant during this time period and totaled about 96 deaths in 2011.

“While many motorcyclists will continue to wear helmets, those who choose not to deserve the latitude to make their own informed judgments as long as they meet the requirements of this new law,” Snyder said in an April 2012 statement after signing the law.

McKinnon, a member of the MSU Motorcycle Club who has been riding motorcycles for six years, said there are certain advantages to not wearing a helmet.

He said his field of vision is wider without a helmet blocking some peripheral vision, he can hear more of what’s happening around him and it’s convenient for short trips from home to class.

“In the city, it’s a lot easier to ride without a helmet, such as around East Lansing,” McKinnon said.

Mechanical engineering junior Adam Lyman said the part that puzzles him about the helmet law is someone riding a motorcycle at 40 miles per hour has to wear a helmet, while someone riding a moped going the same speed doesn’t.

Despite his confusion, Lyman said he wears a helmet because his motorcycle doesn’t have a windshield. The helmet protects him from the wind, bugs, small pebbles and head damage should he get into an accident.

Michigan’s former governor, Jennifer Granholm, vetoed similar legislation voiding the required helmet law twice.

Share and discuss “Study sparks debate on safety of no-helmet law” on social media.