MSU groups teach about fair trade

<p>Chris Treter, co-founder of Higher Grounds Trading, speaks about social responsibilities and fair trade products, Tuesday evening, April 9, 2013, at <span class="caps">MSU</span> Union. Justin Wan/The State News</p>

Chris Treter, co-founder of Higher Grounds Trading, speaks about social responsibilities and fair trade products, Tuesday evening, April 9, 2013, at MSU Union. Justin Wan/The State News

Photo by Justin Wan | The State News

Some might think fair trade is a global issue, but members of the community are working to make it a local affair.

On Tuesday, students and community members gathered in the Union for the Fair Trade Bash to learn about fair trade in the area.

The event was hosted by the University Activities Board, or UAB, and MSU Students for Fair Trade, which works to educate people about fair trade practices. Fair trade is a trade agreement between the producers and consumers, where the producers form a relationship with the traders and offer better terms of trade.

Seneca McKinzie, MSU Students for Fair Trade president, said this is the first year the group teamed up with the UAB to host the event.

McKinzie said it’s the job of the those already in the fair trade movement to inform others about how they can help the cause.

“Lack of awareness springs from a lack of notice of practice,” she said. “There are options right in front of them as opposed to thinking it’s this global movement and you can not help locally.”

Chris Treter, owner and co-founder of Higher Grounds, based out of Traverse City, Mich., which is the only 100 percent fair-trade coffee company in Michigan, was the guest speaker at the Fair Trade Bash because of his involvement in fair-trade practices.

Teter said MSU is doing a good job of offering fair trade items on campus, but there is room for improvement.

MSU is involved in the fair trade efforts by serving Fair Trade coffee in all the dining halls, and Fair Trade tea in some places.

“Campuses in general should move (away from) transnational corporations in the purchasing of food service (and) do local and fair trade,” Teter said.

Maria Starceski, an environmental studies and agriscience senior, came to the event to learn more before she starts teaching agriculture to high schoolers.

Starceski learned about the East Lansing Food Co-op, or ELFCO, which is a community-owned grocery store that sells local, organic and fair trade products.

“I think a lot of people don’t know what fair trade means,” she said.“(ELFCO) should do a better job of marketing on campus.”

Share and discuss “MSU groups teach about fair trade” on social media.