Legislation looks to stop animal abuse statewide

<p>Veterinarian Joyce Heideman holds Jezabelle while talking with The State News reporter at Southside Animal Hospital.  Jezabelle was rescued from the home of former <span class="caps">MSU</span> medical student Andrew Thompson, who pleaded guilty to animal killing in 2012. Justin Wan/The State News</p>

Veterinarian Joyce Heideman holds Jezabelle while talking with The State News reporter at Southside Animal Hospital. Jezabelle was rescued from the home of former MSU medical student Andrew Thompson, who pleaded guilty to animal killing in 2012. Justin Wan/The State News

Photo by Justin Wan | The State News

Last summer, a former MSU student faced charges for killing 13 Italian greyhound puppies that weighed fewer than 5 pounds.

This December, police found 19 animals neglected in an MSU veterinary assistant professor’s home.

Although rarely reported, animal abuse occurs in the MSU community, but Michigan lawmakers are hoping to do something about it.

State Sen. Steven Bieda, D-Warren, and eight other lawmakers introduced a bill March 21 to legally recognize different levels for animal cruelty — first, second and third degree animal abuse.

“We felt there was a lack of differentiation for the worse crimes against animals that the law recognizes toward humans,” Bieda said.

MSU College of Law professor David Favre, an expert in animal cruelty, said it’s a good idea to have a gradual system with punishments that become more serious if offenses are repeated.

“Sometimes people do bad things not quite understanding what’s going on, and they sort of get a chance to get educated,” he said. “If it happens more than once, then you’re starting to see somebody who really has a criminal problem.”

Bieda’s bill contributes to Michigan’s high ranking as the fourth-best state for animal protection, according to a 2012 Animal Legal Defense Fund report.

The ranking is based on categories ranging from increased penalties for repeat abusers to the courts’ power to take away animals.

Despite Michigan’s high ranking, animal abuse has occurred in MSU’s own backyard.

In December, College of Veterinary Medicine assistant professor Patricia Schenck was sentenced to probation for one count of animal neglect after police found in her home 17 dogs and two cats in poor condition.

Another part of Bieda’s bill allows judges to order psychiatric care for someone convicted of hoarding animals.

Last spring, former MSU graduate student Andrew Thompson was charged with killing 13 Italian greyhounds.

When Thompson’s secret was discovered, Ingham County Animal Control and Shelter officials found a small puppy bruised and bleeding in his apartment closet.

Thompson had named her Chloe No. 2.

MSU alumna and veterinarian Joyce Heideman nursed the dog back to health, adopted her and renamed her Jezabelle.

While Heideman believes increasing penalties is important, she said it’s up to officers, prosecutors and animal control shelters to make sure laws are enforced.

“No law is stronger than the effort put into upholding that law,” she said.

Last year, state Rep. Harvey Santana, D-Detroit, introduced a bill to create an animal abuse registry list, which would be similar to a sex offender list.

Anyone convicted of an animal abuse felony would be added to the list and would not be able to buy an animal for at least five years.

The name of the bill would have been Chloe’s Law — Jezabelle’s former name ­— to honor the dog’s survival and prevent more cases like her’s.

The bill died in committee, but Heideman said Santana hopes to reintroduce it this year.

Bieda’s bill is under discussion by the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Share and discuss “Legislation looks to stop animal abuse statewide” on social media.