Kiper predicts Gholston, Bell to be selected on second, third day of NFL Draft

Junior running back Le'Veon Bell laughs during an interview with reporters March 13, 2013, during Pro Day at the Duffy Daugherty Football Building. MSU football holds the annual event for NFL scouts and coaches to get a closer look at the Spartans' NFL prospects. Adam Toolin/The State News
Junior running back Le'Veon Bell laughs during an interview with reporters March 13, 2013, during Pro Day at the Duffy Daugherty Football Building. MSU football holds the annual event for NFL scouts and coaches to get a closer look at the Spartans' NFL prospects. Adam Toolin/The State News —
Photo by Adam Toolin | and Adam Toolin The State News

With the NFL draft a little more than two weeks away, analysts are busier than ever trying to find the diamond in the rough of the college football domain.

Mel Kiper Jr., one of ESPN’s most trusted NFL draft analysts, talked about the future of former Spartans’ running back Le’Veon Bell and defensive end William Gholston Wednesday.

“I think both those kids go in the same general area,” Kiper said. “They’re both late day two, early day three type players.”

After a 4.6-second 40-yard dash and 24 reps on the bench press in the NFL combine, Kiper said he has Bell rated as the sixth-best running back in the daft.

“He’s a build-up speed guy, he’s not quick out of the blocks, he’s deceptively quick,” Kiper said. “I think people misjudge and misread him when they get those pursuit angles going. He can catch the ball adequately, he can block adequately.”

He said Bell uncharacteristically missed a couple blocks this season, and has him going in the third to fifth rounds.

Bell was a top performer in the three-cone drill at the combine, completing it in 6.75 seconds, good for fourth at the event.

Gholston was the highest-rated Spartan at the combine, running the 40-yard dash in 4.96 seconds and getting a 28.5-inch vertical jump.

Kiper said Gholston is the type of player that many teams with a 3-4 defense are looking for, with the only question being his maturity.

“Is the pass rush ability where you expect it to be? No,” Kiper said. “To fit a 3-4 type of scheme for the defensive end and hold his own at the line of scrimmage against the run. But in that scheme with his size and his ability to hold the point, to me, third,fourth round for Gholston.”

The NFL Draft begins Thursday, April 25 at Radio City Music Hall in New York City.

Share and discuss “Kiper predicts Gholston, Bell to be selected on second, third day of NFL Draft” on social media.