Baseball heads to South Bend, Ind., to face Notre Dame

<p>Junior right-handed pitcher Mike Theodore delivers a pitch Wednesday, April 17, 2013, at Comerica Park in Detroit. The Spartans lead Central Michigan, 1-0, in the 5th inning during a rain delay. The remainder of the game is set to be played May 14 in Mt. Pleasant. Adam Toolin/The State News</p>

Junior right-handed pitcher Mike Theodore delivers a pitch Wednesday, April 17, 2013, at Comerica Park in Detroit. The Spartans lead Central Michigan, 1-0, in the 5th inning during a rain delay. The remainder of the game is set to be played May 14 in Mt. Pleasant. Adam Toolin/The State News

Photo by Adam Toolin | The State News

For the first time in a week, the MSU baseball team will take the field when they travel to South Bend, Ind., to take on Notre Dameat 5:35 p.m. today.

Three cancellations at Minnesota last weekend and another one on Tuesday evening against Ball State — a game that would have been played at Lansing’s Cooley Law School Stadium because of flooding on MSU’s grounds — brings the Spartans (22-11, 5-4 Big Ten) total cancellations on the year to six.

“It’ll be nice (because) it was a frustrating week,” head coach Jake Boss Jr. said. “We only played four innings against Central down in Detroit at Comerica. We had a good practice yesterday, and a good practice today.”

The last time the Spartans were on the field, they held a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the fifth inning against Central Michigan in the Clash at Comerica last Wednesday. That game will be picked up in Mount Pleasant, Mich., on May 14.

With record rain levels in East Lansing, the softball field, and much of the baseball field at Old College Field, remain waterlogged.

Still, Boss said the team was able to have good practices on the infield and even moved to the outfield on Tuesday afternoon.

Before the string of bad weather, the Spartans were on a roll, winning their past five games including the last four in walk-off fashion.

Boss said the team is prepared for the scheduling issues that come with playing college baseball in the north.

“That’s the way it is this time of year,” Boss said. “From this point, on we’re playing two midweek games a week from this time on except finals week.”

Notre Dame has won three-straight games at home, but was forced to travel to Ohio to take on Toledo on Tuesdaybecause of poor weather in Indiana.

Notre Dame is much better at home, boasting a 10-3 record at Frank Eck Stadium in South Bend compared to 5-11 away from the comforts of home.

Junior Eric Jagielo leads Notre Dame with a .389 batting average with eight home runs and 34 runs batted in.

Boss said the team prepares differently for teams, such as Notre Dame, it doesn’t often see, but they aren’t looking to combat the Irish’s offense or defense.

“You’ve got a good chance of winning no matter who you are or who you’re playing,” Boss said. “They’ve got a couple position players that will be drafted. Still, we don’t know them and they’ll be a challenge.”

Share and discuss “Baseball heads to South Bend, Ind., to face Notre Dame” on social media.