Virtual internships lack key elements

Commuting for an internship might become a thing of the past — at least if current trends hold true.

In recent years, growing numbers of students are swapping business clothes for pajamas and taking on virtual internships­ — positions that don’t require students to ever set foot in the office.

And as evident from a 20 percent increase in virtual internships offered this past year, employers are all for them.

Needing only a laptop and Internet connection, remote internships offer students a new medium for finding experience in a world of global companies. From the comfort of one’s own dorm room, students can work on research projects or social media efforts for companies they never have real face-to-face contact with.

There is truth in the adage that no experience is bad experience. But when is that experience valuable?

One of the biggest drawbacks to virtual internships is the lack of opportunity it presents for interactions with professionals in an actual workplace.

Although virtual internships would provide the opportunity to be exempt from paying commuting costs or housing expenses, virtual interns miss out on learning many of the crucial lessons resulting from working for a company in the office. These lessons include understanding professional expectations, finding their place in corporate culture and following office etiquette — all things that can’t be taught through a computer screen.

Even more, unlike more traditional internships — where new hires are partnered with a member of the company and form personal bonds with their coworkers — virtual interns only communicate through phone conversations or Skype.

This lack of consistent communication eventually can impede one’s ability to network and limit their chances of working for the company in the future.

Virtual internships also have been linked with a higher risk of fraud.

Many career websites now encourage students to research the company and be on the lookout for red flags, such as a Gmail or Hotmail email address, or an office operated out of a home.

In spite of these concerns, it is difficult to ignore the convenience that working remotely presents.

As more focus is put on expanding online reach, having interns who possess the youthful know-how to manage a social identity is going to be a top priority for companies.

Many companies also have started using virtual internships as a way to stay in contact with members of their summer programs who return back to school in the fall.

Although this likely indicates working remotely is a phenomenon that is here to stay, this should not detract from the importance of working in an actual workplace.

The knowledge gained from working alongside professionals is an invaluable experience for students at any job and an essential part of increasing the likelihood of future success.

Share and discuss “Virtual internships lack key elements” on social media.