Thursday, July 24, 2014

In E.L. or abroad, students welcome break

act_new_springbreakasf_02201302

Devon Struble, 17, of Charlotte. Mich., gets his first tattoo from tattoo artist Nate Graves at Splash of Color Tattoo and Piercing Studio, 515 E. Grand River Ave. Students staying in East Lansing over spring break have a variety of activities to choose from. Adam Toolin/The State News

Editor’s note: This is part of a package on spring break. Also see How to keep the ‘break-in’ out of spring break and Traveling presents unique safety risks.

As a tumbleweed rolls through Farm Lane, campus might resemble a deserted Wild West town from the 1800s more than a busy college campus.

As many other students leave the state on planes to lounge in places such as South Padre Island, Texas, or Panama City Beach, Fla., students left behind don’t have to be hermits and stay in their house or apartment all week.

Here are several activities for students who are staying in East Lansing during spring break.

Go to the driving range
Although the golf courses might not be open yet, it’s never too late to practice swinging out on the driving range before golf courses open this spring.

dmm_fea_golf_02211301
By Danyelle Morrow / The State News
Heartland, Mich., resident Jim Leedle practices his swing on Thursday, Feb. 21, 2013, at the Forest Akers Golf Courses, located on 2280 S. Harrison Road. Leedle was being instructed by East Lansing resident Tom Kang, who works at the course as a PGA teaching professional. Danyelle Morrow/The State News
jn_new_massage02_022213
By Julia Nagy / The State News
Massage therapist Susan Hossinger gives English freshman Taylor Neverman a massage Feb. 22, 2013, at Massage and Wellness, 201 E. Grand River. Neverman came to get a massage to help her with recent headaches. Julia Nagy/The State News

After midterms are finished, physical activity can be helpful in relieving stress, according to mayoclinic.com.

Forest Akers East Golf Course, 2280 S. Harrison Road, offers 16 driving ranges with heated bays so patrons can keep warm while hitting balls outside, said Becca Lorencz, a supervisor and instructor for Forest Akers.

Sparty Cash also is accepted and can be spent on items in the golf shop and on driving balls.

Get a tattoo or piercing
Spring break is when students take chances, and what’s more risky than getting something on your body for the rest of your life?

Although appointments are recommended, Splash of Color Tattoo and Piercing Studio, 515 E. Grand River Ave., accepts walk-ins for tattoos.

Sessions for tattoos vary depending on the size and placement of it, and piercings usually take around a half hour, said Kris Lachance, owner of Splash of Color.

Get a massage
Getting a massage is proven to relieve stress, such as tension from taking an economics midterm, and loosens the body.

After all, spring break is a time for students to let loose.

Massage and Wellness, 201 E. Grand River Ave., offers massage therapy, facials and body wraps at a student discount.

Massages can be anywhere from 30-90 minutes, facials are an hour, as well as body wraps, said Alan Glanz, owner of Massage and Wellness.