College Democrats, Republicans and Libertarians come together through debate

As Democrats and Republicans squabble in Washington, D.C., student groups at MSU are working to prove that conservatives, liberals and libertarians can coexist and “civilly discuss” issues, as economics freshman Lucas Joncas put it.

MSU College Democrats, Republicans and Libertarians came together Wednesday night at Erickson Hall for a debate on topics such as gun control, Michigan’s right-to-work law and the national debt and deficit.

Joncas, a libertarian, said the debate provided about 15 participants and 20 audience members a chance to hear different viewpoints.

“It’s a chance to hash out important issues and hear other people’s opinions,” he said.

Political theory and constitutional democracy senior Stephen Wooden said while the debates do provide a forum to discuss differing ideologies, the participants are just looking to enjoy themselves.

“(We want to) have fun and get to know other people,” Wooden said. “Bipartisan solutions come from making friends.”

Wooden, a Democrat, said he was pleased by the increased participation he’s seen in the last three years.

“We had a great discussion,” he said. “And it’s not just the usual suspects and it’s not just me talking.”

Political science freshman Evan Schrage, a Republican, said the best part to him was everyone who participated could have honest discussion without getting personal.

“At the end of the day, we can remain friends,” he said.

This was not the first debate the groups have held. Joncas said there was a debate in early November that he called a success.

“It was really great,” Joncas said. “It was pretty laid back, but everyone got their ideas across. People understand that these are (just) campus debates and a lot of us are friends outside the debates.”

Following the end of the 90-minute debate, the Democrats met with Julianna Smoot, a former member of President Barack Obama’s campaign team, to talk about her husband’s run for chair of the Michigan Democratic Party.

“MSU was vital to Obama’s re-election,” Wooden said. “She’s focused on engaging young people.”

One of the debate’s biggest crowd reactions came during a brief argument over education policy, when Joncas, responding to a question about Libertarian ideology, gave a unique summary of his organization’s views.

“We’re trying to take over the world (so we can) leave you alone,” he said, smiling.

Share and discuss “College Democrats, Republicans and Libertarians come together through debate” on social media.