Wednesday, November 26, 2014

How do you stay motivated during your final semester at MSU?

Last fall *human biology senior Michelle Chavdar* only attended class two out of five days just so she could catch some extra shut-eye. “Basically, I never went to class and didn’t study until the night before exams,” Chavdar said. Since then, she’s vowed to change for her last semester on campus. “My New Year’s resolution was to not miss any class,” Chavdar said. “My advice would be to do your best not to get senioritis, but I know it’s hard and you can’t really control it and it really stinks.” After graduation, Chavdar plans to take a relaxing year off from studying to do some volunteer work.

Last fall human biology senior Michelle Chavdar only attended class two out of five days just so she could catch some extra shut-eye. “Basically, I never went to class and didn’t study until the night before exams,” Chavdar said. Since then, she’s vowed to change for her last semester on campus. “My New Year’s resolution was to not miss any class,” Chavdar said. “My advice would be to do your best not to get senioritis, but I know it’s hard and you can’t really control it and it really stinks.” After graduation, Chavdar plans to take a relaxing year off from studying to do some volunteer work.

*Genomics and molecular genetics senior Daniel Kalabat* said he has had a case of senioritis. His symptoms included not paying attention in class and not doing his homework, even when he had the time for it. “This semester I have a lot more to do such as graduation and applying for jobs, so I am definitely buckling down,” Kalabat said. “Hopefully after I graduate I can get a job doing research then eventually go to medical school.”

Genomics and molecular genetics senior Daniel Kalabat said he has had a case of senioritis. His symptoms included not paying attention in class and not doing his homework, even when he had the time for it. “This semester I have a lot more to do such as graduation and applying for jobs, so I am definitely buckling down,” Kalabat said. “Hopefully after I graduate I can get a job doing research then eventually go to medical school.”

A more mild case of senioritis was apparent in *nursing senior Kara Loush*. Despite her love of school, she got sick of studying but still went to class. “I love school and I cherish it and the blessing that it is, but I’m not going to make it my whole life right now,” she said. “I go to class because all my nursing classes are mandatory and they take attendance.” After graduating, Loush still is deciding between going on a mission trip or starting the job search.

A more mild case of senioritis was apparent in nursing senior Kara Loush. Despite her love of school, she got sick of studying but still went to class. “I love school and I cherish it and the blessing that it is, but I’m not going to make it my whole life right now,” she said. “I go to class because all my nursing classes are mandatory and they take attendance.” After graduating, Loush still is deciding between going on a mission trip or starting the job search.

As many seniors approach their final months at MSU, some might struggle with the infamous “senioritis.”

The term has been rolling through schools since 1957 and it means, “an ebbing of motivation and effort by school seniors as evidenced by tardiness, absences, and lower grades,” according to Merriam-Webster dictionary. While some students see it as a major problem, others believe their final grades won’t have as big of an impact in the end.

As the end approaches, students reflect on their last semester and how they’re coping with their final course load.