Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Hundreds attend MSU Neuroscience fair

By

For Mika Obrecht, a junior at Howell High School, eating a “miracle berry” to change sour flavors sweet sounded like a crazy concept, but she was willing to try.

The experiment was at one of more than 20 different booths educating participants about the nervous system at the third annual MSU Neuroscience Fair and Brain Bee, held Saturday afternoon at Biomedical Physical Sciences Building.

More than 1,100 people attended the fair, hosted by the MSU Neuroscience Program and Brain Bee at MSU.

MSU students and faculty helped work the booths and activities included dissecting a cow eye, testing reaction time and making a flip book about brain development.

Graduate student Jennifer Langel helped organize the event and said the booth where participants could touch a human brain usually is a popular destination.

nak_new_neuroscience02_011213
By Natalie Kolb / The State News
Haslett resident 11-year-old Naomi Miller dissects a cow eye during the 3rd annual Neuroscience Fair on Saturday, Jan. 12, 2013, at the Biomedical Physical Sciences Building on campus. Miller said she came to the fair because she likes learning about the brain.

“We seem to get a positive turnout from kids from all ages and even up to adults,” Langel said.

Neuroscience freshman Hannah Batchelor volunteered at a booth helping the children trace their bodies and then draw their nervous system on paper.

“A lot of kids ended up knowing more about it than we expected them to,” Batchelor said.

Psychology and neuroscience professor Cheryl Sisk said she enjoyed teaching visitors about the adolescent brain and its development.

“The purpose is to help educate the public and especially kids about the brain and brain development,” Sisk said. “I’m just passionate about the brain and how it works.”