Campus, Internet provide study resources for students

As finals approach, students can take advantage of a variety of tools on campus and online to help study for upcoming exams.

Many of the neighborhoods’ engagement centers offer academic help in their math tutoring, writing and learning resource centers.

There are engagement centers in Brody, Holden, Hubbard and McDonel halls, as well as in the Union.

The learning resource centers offer help on a broad range of subjects. On the center’s website, students can find a schedule of what subjects tutors are teaching, along with the times and dates.

Students can find daytime tutoring in room 204 of Bessey Hall and evening tutoring at each neighborhood’s center.

Dianna Baldwin, associate director of The Writing Center, said she expects the next few weeks to be busy and encourages students to make appointments at the writing centers early. Neighborhood centers offer 30-minute to hour-long time slots, and The Writing Center at Bessey Hall offers appointments up to two hours long.

English senior William Lucas, a tutor in the main writing center in Bessey Hall, suggests students bring course materials to study sessions to help tutors effectively work with students on assignments.

“One great thing is if people print out two copies of their assignment,” Lucas said. ”The writer’s prompt or the rubric is very nice (to bring) so then you can see what the teacher really wants.”

Students who can’t make it to campus resources can take advantage of the Chegg Study Week online Monday through Sunday.
Chegg.com offers various educational services online for students nationwide, including homework help and textbooks, Chegg communications manager Angela Pontarolo said in an email.

Pontarolo said students will have free access to step-by-step solutions to textbook problems and study guides specific to a class and also can submit a question to an expert about a wide range of subjects.

Andre Jones, a media and information junior, said he used the math resource center in Wells Hall this past summer.

“The tutors knew what they were talking about,” Jones said. “If students need help, I definitely would recommend it.”

Share and discuss “Campus, Internet provide study resources for students” on social media.