Youth perspective beneficial to firms

For almost all college students, landing the job of their dreams is a goal formed from the minute their acceptance letters arrive in the mail.

Although this sentiment is something universally shared by students across the country, according to some recent reports, graduating seniors might not want to get their hopes up any time soon.

According to a recent article published in The New York Times, a major hiring gap has developed between recent college graduates and employers in need of workers.

In the article, more than a dozen CEOs from various industries said they didn’t feel comfortable hiring recent graduates because of a lack of discipline and real-world experience. These executives prefer young professionals gain experience on a smaller company’s paycheck before hiring them.

The CEOs also noted that many young employees feel entitled to receive promotions early on in their careers and directed much of the blame to universities for offering weakened requirements that don’t adequately prepare graduates for jobs in the real world.

Although these statements can be observed as broad generalizations that reflect a series of larger issues, when considering the amount of blame each industry leader directed toward the universities, it is clear students now must have a larger role in progressing their own futures.

Unlike the past, college no longer is a place where students can be guaranteed a career simply because they complete four years of school and are handed a degree.

Instead of relying solely on academic success, it is important for college students now to use the years they’re in school to build their résumés, develop connections and find internship opportunities that will impress future employers and make the transition into the work world a much simpler task. These experiences can mimic the type of skills many major companies expect young employees to have when entering the job market.

However, not all the blame can be placed on the shoulders of students and universities.

By denying college students the opportunity to gain real-world experiences, CEOs run the risk of missing out on hiring highly skilled employees equipped with technology abilities and innovative ideas.

What some of these CEOs don’t realize is that their companies could greatly benefit from employing individuals of our generation who have unique perspectives that differ from those of older generations who might have worked for the same company for many years. Their youth allows them to embrace change and address problems in a forward-thinking manner.

In addition, hiring employees right out of college gives them the opportunity to advance in the company and be a better asset later in their careers.

Although there still is no way to control the thoughts or opinions of the various industry moguls, using the time you have in school as a way to gain real-world experience is one of the only ways to ensure professional success in the future.

Share and discuss “Youth perspective beneficial to firms” on social media.