Voters approve redevelopment of golf course

Last Tuesday, Lansing voters approved the city’s sale of the Red Cedar Golf Course property- for potential redevelopment, with 67.5 percent voting yes on the proposal.

Although Lansing residents are supportive of the idea of redeveloping the area, there still are steps to complete before developers can officially break ground.

The land might be sold to the developers behind the Capital Gateway Project, a vision for the Michigan Avenue corridor including the golf course, which includes housing, shopping, green space and even an outdoor movie theater.

After the project received voter approval last week, managing partner of the development team behind the project, Chris Jerome, said he has heard from more businesses interested in securing a space, although he could not discuss specifics yet.

Proponents of the project say it would generate jobs and create a seamless transition between Lansing and East Lansing. If the development group, which also includes MSU Trustee Joel Ferguson, acquires the land, the site would completely transform the landscape of the section of Michigan Avenue that stretches from the end of Brody Complex to Clippert Street. The group already owns 20 acres of the 45-plus acre parcel.

Although the project is closer to reality after the positive voter turnout, At-Large Lansing Councilmember Carol Wood said there are a lot of steps to go before the project goes from concept to reality.

Before official public hearings can be held for the project and a more concrete course of action can be taken, the mayor’s office still needs to recommend a plan and work out an agreement with the developers, Wood said.

“The public was willing to let them have (the) added property they needed for the development,” Wood said.

“Now that that’s been done, it’s (the developer’s) opportunity to put together what everyone believes is the best deal, and bring it to council.”

One of these steps is continued in face-to-face meetings with members of the community, with an emphasis on the student population since the project is in such close proximity to campus, Jerome said.

Share and discuss “Voters approve redevelopment of golf course” on social media.