Monday, July 28, 2014 | Last updated: 1:44pm

Volleyball defeats Northwestern to sweep weekend

dmm_vbl_vblviowa18_110212

Junior outside hitter Lauren WIcinski watches the ball at Jenison Field House on Nov. 2, 2012 during the Michigan State University versus Iowa State University volleyball game. MSU won the game in three sets. Danyelle Morrow/The State News

The MSU volleyball team (23-7 overall, 11-7 Big Ten) traveled to Evanston, Ill., and swept the Northwestern Wildcats (16-13, 5-13) 3-0, with scores of 25-18, 25-17 and 25-15 at Welsh-Ryan Arena. The win caps another strong weekend for the Spartans, who defeated Illinois in five sets on Friday evening.

It was the sixth consecutive Big Ten-match victory for the Spartans, the program’s best streak since 1998.

Junior outside hitter Lauren Wicinski was tops for MSU with 15 kills, and senior outside hitter Amy Dentlinger wasn’t far behind with 11.

The Spartans used a 13-3 run to take the first set, capped off by a service ace from freshman setter Halle Peterson.

A kill from sophomore middle blocker and outside hitter Jazmine White gave MSU a 12-4 lead in the second set to help MSU take control early.

In the final set, leading 12-9, the Spartans used an 11-3 run to put the Wildcats on the ropes, before a kill from junior middle blocker Alexis Mathews sealed the victory.

MSU will return home to host Michigan at 6:30 p.m. on Wednesday at Jenison Field House.