Suspect charged in Charlie Kang's sexual assault

Manuel Antonio Alvarado-Espino, a 32-year-old Lansing, Mich. resident, was charged Tuesday for allegedly sexually assaulting a female employee at Charlie Kang’s Restaurant, 127 E. Grand River Ave., according to a press release from the East Lansing Police Department, or ELPD.

Antonio faces two charges of criminal sexual conduct in the first and second degree, a count of unlawful imprisonment and a count of interfering with electronic communications after he allegedly sexually assaulted a woman in the bathroom of the restaurant Sunday night, ELPD said in the release.

Around 10:48 p.m. on Sunday, the Ingham County Central Dispatch received two 911 calls from an unknown female caller who said “Charlie Kang’s, 127 E. Grand River. Please come help me,” according to the release.

ELPD went to the restaurant and entered through an unlocked back door. When they walked into the restaurant, they could hear a woman yelling for help from the bathroom, ELPD said in the release.

Officers looked through a crack in the bathroom door and saw an unclothed male standing over a partially clothed female victim, ELPD said.

Police took the man into custody at the scene, and he was held in ELPD jail overnight . The release said he will be arraigned in front of East Lansing’s 54-B District Court Judge Richard Ball Tuesday, and Alvarado-Espino will be held on an immigration detainer through the Department
of Homeland Security.

Share and discuss “Suspect charged in Charlie Kang's sexual assault” on social media.