Thursday, October 23, 2014

Jankoska signs NLI to play for MSU

MSU women’s basketball team picked up its first recruit when Tori Jankoska signed her National Letter of Intent on Wednesday to join the Spartans in the 2013-14 season.

The Freeland, Mich., native started all three of her seasons thus far at Freeland High School and served as captain for two of them, averaging 21.8 points and 3.9 assists.

“We are excited to have Tori as part of the Spartan family,” head coach Suzy Merchant said in a press release.

“Her ability to extend the defense with her deep 3-point shooting range, as well as her ability to take her defender off the dribble and create shots for other people, will make an immediate impact in a Michigan State uniform.”

At 5-foot-8, Jankoska led her high school to last season’s Class B semifinal and a 22-4 record.
She also lettered in volleyball, soccer and track and field at Freeland, earning all-state honors in all four sports.

Junior guard Klarissa Bell said she has seen Jankoska play and that she definitely will fit in with the team.

“She’s been up here a lot of times,” Bell said.

“She’s played open gym with us, and she’s a shooter, definitely.”

Jankoska holds the career scoring record at Freeland High School with 1,562 and has had a 44-point game.

Jankoska was named player of the year last season by the Midland Daily News and has been first-team all-conference in each of her three seasons.