Election day over, country must unite

It has been a painstaking journey since the election cycle began more than a year ago. Since then, negative attacks have been thrown from both sides in an effort to gain votes, and in doing so, each side slightly tainted the character of its opponent.

Elections are fantastic because they allow people to be involved in the democratic process by casting a ballot, and voice their opinion about who they think should be the leader of this country.

But elections also are divisive, leaving many Americans bitter about the winners and losers.

Soon, students and Michigan residents finally will get a break from watching hundreds of campaign advertisements on TV, and phones will stay silent for a few months, lacking the robocalls and other calls from campaigns urging citizens to vote one way or the other. News stations will begin covering stories other than those dissecting every part of the election and the candidates involved. Lawns will be clear of campaign signs, at least for a few months.

Although elections severely can divide a nation, the U.S. must come together after this election in support of whoever is president and hope that they, and members of Congress, put this country back on track to remain the greatest country on Earth.

It is upsetting to see the candidate you vote for lose an election, especially for those who fervently support one candidate over the other and even have volunteered for campaigns, but there must only be one winner. Ultimately, every American who cast a vote yesterday should be proud he or she was involved in an election to choose our leader, something citizens of many countries around the world still are denied the right.

And regardless of who wins an election, we must respect the president and the position he holds.

Both candidates have very distinct visions for where they want to take this country and how to put us on a path to economic prosperity. Both candidates want to see this country and its people achieve success, and although a voter might not agree with the person who wins, he or she needs to respect the man and his position as leader of the free world.

There inevitably will be complaints about who the country chose as its victor by his opponents. The usual “I’m moving to Canada” mantra will be repeated by many, and millions of Americans might feel their vote was in vain. But that is what makes America a spectacular country. Those who wish to protest this victory have the right to do so. Every American has the right to voice his or her opinion without fear of retaliation from the government. And Americans should continue to audit the actions of their government, as it keeps them involved and informed and gives them a reason to vote in the next election cycle.

Elections can divide a population, but now is the time for Americans to unite during the next four years.

Millions of Americans will be upset with who is president, but they should respect the man who wins, regardless of whether or not they agree with him.

Share and discuss “Election day over, country must unite” on social media.